Help With Antonio Pineda Necklace Mark

Jewelry, Flatware & Holloware
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
ellen324

Help With Antonio Pineda Necklace Mark

Post by ellen324 »

Hi -

Can anyone tell me if Antonio Pineda worked in anything other than sterling (925 or 970) in the 1950's or 60's? Like silver plate??

I recently purchased an Antonio Pineda necklace which is a beauty - the moonstones and silver are gorgeous. It's marked with both the Antonio crown and the Taxco eagle, but it doesn't say 'sterling' (or 925 or 970).

However, the mark was stamped on the closure and there isn't much room there - something that should have been included in the mark is 'running' off the bottom (see photos). Could this be the 925 stamp?

Sorry if this sounds a bit petty - I just want to make sure this is actually sterling...

Thanks,
Ellen

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The whole purpose of the eagle is as a sterling guarantee mark, no other silver indication marks are necessary.
Regards, Tom
ellen324

Post by ellen324 »

Hi Tom

Thanks for your reply.

I don't want to sound argumentative, but why then was most early Mexican silver stamped with BOTH the eagle and 925 (or whatever) mark?

I thought the eagle indicated Taxco - and was then replaced with the "TC-45", etc. marks?

Thanks,
Ellen
ellen324

Post by ellen324 »

Nevermind what I just wrote!

I just re-read your Mexico Marks standards and see my mistake. My apologies and thanks...
kerangoumar
contributor

Post by kerangoumar »

you have raised an interesting point. i have seen dozens of mexican hoops etc which were brass with a faint hint of silver, yet marked as 'sterling' . in this case however, with Pineda's reputation, one should not worry about its being plated.

that would leave only the possibility of fakery. the workmanship of the necklace, the superb gradation of the links and even the sharpness of the maker's and silver mark all tell you that it is sterling and it is an authentic Pineda. it's gorgeous. but you have to bring it to life by wearing it!

Return to “Mexican Silversmiths”