Help Please with a Mexican mark

Jewelry, Flatware & Holloware
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Japerton

Help Please with a Mexican mark

Post by Japerton »

Hello,
I am not able to find any information on the 925-1000.com site.

The mark is Mexico on one side and TV-6? or TV-B? on the other.

I would be grateful for any help!

Thank you!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

see ->
http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=635" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Japerton

Post by Japerton »

Ooops, thanks.

So, the V in TV means taxco and some city?

Is there a book title I should be looking for at the library?

Thank you so much.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Not exactly. This letter/number sterling marking code began in Mexico in the late 1970's. Finding a piece using the code tells you, right off, it is of recent vintage.
The first letter indicates location, and there are few in use, those most commonly seen are: C, G, J, M, & T.
C&J you can guess at with a map, G is probably Guadalajara, M is Mexico City and in your case...
the T is for Taxco, the V is the initial of the last name of the smith (Vazquez, Vargas, Villalobos, who knows?, let's invent one named - Jose Vargas), the number (can't read it, but let's say it's 39) indicates that he is the 39th smith who's name began with V to register with the assay office of the city of Taxco. so...
TV-39 = Jose Vargas of Taxco...
and now we have key the code...
but...unfortunately...no codebook!
Somewhere in the bureaucracy of the Mexican government, the codebook exists, but as far as I know, no one, aside from the bureaucrats, has ever seen it. So, for now, you'll have to settle for "they are sterling and were made by a guy named V?? in Taxco sometime after around 1980"
Sadly, that's how things stand with the current Mexican silver marking system, sorry I can't be of more help.
Regards, Tom

ps. Bille Hougarts book "The Little Book of Mexican Silver Trade & Hallmarks" does decode around 40 of these marks, however, there are many hundreds, if not thousands of them. It is likely that the vast majority will remain unidentified.
Japerton

Post by Japerton »

Thank you so much!
silvercrown

Post by silvercrown »

"J" is Jalisco and "C" is Ciudad.

Silvercrown
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Jalisco makes sense for J, but "ciudad" is simply Spanish for "city". Think it is more likely to stand for Cuernavaca.

Return to “Mexican Silversmiths”