Necklace 965 Eagle 5 is this Chato Castillo or Salas

Jewelry, Flatware & Holloware
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
ajmelysarts

Necklace 965 Eagle 5 is this Chato Castillo or Salas

Post by ajmelysarts »

I need help in identifying this necklace and dating it. It isn't marked on the back but has a metal tag on the chain with an Eagle 5 with an M underneath and on the other side of the tag it has Hechoen Mexico 965. The style is of Matilde Poulat & Ricardo Salas but the eagle 5 would indicate Jorge Chato Castillo. Would it be from 1948 - 1970? Thanks
ValkyrieVixen
contributor

Re: Necklace 965 Eagle 5 is this Chato Castillo or Salas

Post by ValkyrieVixen »

I've seen those chains on numerous different pieces and they seem to have nothing to do with the maker of the pendant. It''s also not one of the 2 used eagle marks so may have nothing to do with ID'ing the maker as the gov't eagle assays do but is just a design. What is marked on the pendant?
ajmelysarts

Post by ajmelysarts »

The back is unmarked. I've included a picture of the back and the otherside of the tag.
ValkyrieVixen
contributor

Post by ValkyrieVixen »

The 965 is probably 925, the 2 just looks funny, I've never seen 965 silver.
Without a mark on the back of the pendant there is no way to know the maker. Matl designs were copied by dozens of people.
oldsugarshaker

Post by oldsugarshaker »

It is marked 965 and that alloy is used by the Taxco diverse silversmiths in Mexico. I believe you necklace came with the pendant. I bought mine together in the 1940's at a shop in Mexico. It's almost exact. They used a tag made of paper and sometimes silver attached with a ring. Great necklace. Castillo is the designer.
Cheers
Taxco collector add expert in Taxco Silver
Miss Klein

Return to “Mexican Silversmiths”