Mexico sterling silver earrings help

Jewelry, Flatware & Holloware
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Paradis

Mexico sterling silver earrings help

Post by Paradis »

Hello, I'm new to this forum. My mum has a lot of silver saved up so I will probably need a lot of your help in the near future.

Anyway, I have purchased this pair of Mexican sterling silver earrings. The stamp says `Mexicco`, `925` and `TU-D4 (or 04, I'm not sure)`. I know the basics about silver hallmarks and I've been collecting silver jewelry and coins for some time, so I know the general idea. I would like to know the date, city or any information you can give me about these, thank you :)

PS: Sorry if the images are too big...

ValkyrieVixen
contributor

Re: Mexico sterling silver earrings help

Post by ValkyrieVixen »

They are from Taxco, any time after 1979. The inlay isn't a stone but usually an enamel or other type of material. The artisan is most likely someone who does piece work for wholesalers. If you go to the World Marks link at the top of the page there is a section on Mexican marks.
Paradis

Post by Paradis »

Thank you for your help :) Do you know why it's ``Mexicco`` with two C's, is it just an error. Also, do you think `TU-D4` is just a number so the maker could categorize it or something like that.
ValkyrieVixen
contributor

Post by ValkyrieVixen »

The double C is just a mis-stamp. There is an explanation of the "T" marks in the Mexican marks section here.
Paradis

Post by Paradis »

Ok, I found it. Thank you for your help, you have answered all my questions :)

Return to “Mexican Silversmiths”