MARGOT de TAXCO brooch, design # 5158

Jewelry, Flatware & Holloware
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
AG2012
contributor

MARGOT de TAXCO brooch, design # 5158

Post by AG2012 »

ImageImage
MARGOT de TAXCO convertible brooch, design # 5158. Sterling silver with gilded copper ``metalos casados`` (married metals), marked ``Mergot de Taxco`` and Mexican delineated Eagle used 1948 — 1955, with No 16.
All links were made of sterling and copper sheet was soldered to the surface of every second link, slanted with file, polished, gilded and joined with other links by perfectly executed rivets.It is 5` long.Old patina on silver and some gilding on copper rubbed off.
Margot van Voorhies Carr opened MARGOT DE TAXCO in 1948 after she divorced Antonio Castillo, who worked for William Spratling.
Margot consistently marked her jewelry with a design number and her all sterling silver pieces were numbered 5100 through 5790.
This design # 5102 of `` Pre-Columbian Double Swirl ``(her third design) started with necklace and bracelet (shown on page 86, photo plate V-1 in Dr. Penny Morrill's book on Margot). Later, Margot incorporated two convertible brooches with this necklace design (piece could be worn as a necklace or as separate pieces, brooches and necklace) and that was her design #5158.
I have seen only one complete set, as well as several bracelets and one brooch, but they were not made in ``married metals`` technique, and some were marked with post 1955 eagle. Interestingly, her ex - husband Antonio Castillo made the same design with different design numbers, both with post 1955 eagle mark and without it, but again, not in ``married metals`` technique.
Margot was known for enameled jewelry, but I have not seen any pieces made in ``married metals`` with gilded copper.The piece is genuine beyond any doubt, not only because of marks but also because of the best craftsmanship possible and age wear that cannot be faked.
Any opinion or additional information regarding # 5158 design in ``married metals`` technique is appreciated.
Thank you.
dognose
Site Admin

Re: MARGOT de TAXCO brooch, design # 5158

Post by dognose »

Hi AG2012,

Many thanks for sharing this information with us.

Regards, Trev.
AG2012
contributor

Re: MARGOT de TAXCO brooch, design # 5158

Post by AG2012 »

Mrgot de Taxco enameling:

In an interview given to Sheila Pamfiloff and Javier (Javi) Olivares, Sigrfedo Sigi Pineda, born in 1929 said:
``I was 19. I worked with Margot from 19 until I was 23 years old``
(It means he was with Margot from 1948 — 1952).

``Did she work enamel before you started working with her?``

``No. They were just trying and could not produce anything yet and the samples her husband made, and another person, were keeping it a secret. I did not find out until 6 months later and I told her, "Look, I know how to work enamel. Why don't you give me the opportunity?", and she gave it to me and I started to make enamel.``

``You were the pioneer of enamel in Margot's shop?``

``Yes, I was, because no one knew how.``

Return to “Mexican Silversmiths”