Help to ID this candelabra

Jewelry, Flatware & Holloware
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
mykem

Help to ID this candelabra

Post by mykem »

I'm new to silver hunting, and picked this up at an estate sale. It is a candelabra with three configurations. One is as pictured, with three cups, second the arms can be removed to turn it into a single cup, and third the center cup can unscrew and be replaced with a bulb found in the base, to make it the two cups on the arms.

It has three marks on the base, one is a triangle of which two words I can make out around the triangle 'of Mexico 925'. The other two appear to be an '812' in some sort of shield or something.

I took it to my coin dealer and he tested one of the cup drip plates and the test was not conclusive for silver. Is it possible just the base is silver? It is heavy, 5 pounds, 10 oz on a standard shipping scale. It does not appear to be weighted anywhere.

Any advice appreciated!

AG2012
contributor

Re: Help to ID this candelabra

Post by AG2012 »

Silhouetted Eagle mark late 1960`s to early 1970`s. The number on the eagle’s chest looks like 28; it was assigned to Bernice Godspeed in Taxco.
http://www.925-1000.com/mx_bernice_X.html
She did make holloware but there was always letter B of various forms. Pictures are not good enough to tell for sure what’s in the mark above 925.
Unfortunately, don’t take it for granted it’s Bernice — eagle marks were indiscriminately struck on later silver.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

It’s very suspicious if cup drip plates are not made of silver.Besides, it does not look like Bernice’s design at all — too traditional; she designed modern silver. All said, very unlikely to be Bernice.
mykem

Post by mykem »

I've looked at it several times more, and there are 3 of the eagle stamps on the bottom. They look like 218. Is that possible for that high of a number? I haven't seen any that high on the pages here
kimbley

Post by kimbley »

I just looked in my book and the only thing is says under the Eagle 218 number is on tea service. No maker info.

Return to “Mexican Silversmiths”