IDENIFY STERLING KNIFE

Jewelry, Flatware & Holloware
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
RRTH

IDENIFY STERLING KNIFE

Post by RRTH »

Found tis buried several weeks ago and finally made out what I believe is the logo. The US Half-Dollar is for size perspective. The stamping looks like STERLING on the left side of the circular hallmark and OOIX at the top of the circle. I cannot make out the right side or the center image. I believe that is STERLING stamped in a straight line on the right side running from tip to hilt. I can't make out the remainder of the circle. Could this be from the Austrian jeweler "GOOIX"? The "knife" is 4" long, 1 1/2" handle, 2 1/2" blade, x 5/8" wide and no thicker than a dime and tapered to a semi-sharpe edge. I could not find anything that might have been the materiel for a handle. Can anyone help me identify this?

Thanks
RRTH
silverly

Re: IDENIFY STERLING KNIFE

Post by silverly »

Welcome to the forum. I don't recognize the mark, but it does appear to say Mexico along with the sterling as you've already pointed out. Good luck with the identification. There are people on this site who are very knowledgeable of Mexican silver, so hopefully, it will not be too long before you have an answer.
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Spratling (your pic shows it upside-down) - that knife would have had a very simple rosewood handle...

Spratling Marks

~Cheryl
RRTH

Post by RRTH »

dragonflywink wrote:Spratling (your pic shows it upside-down) - that knife would have had a very simple rosewood handle...

Spratling Marks

~Cheryl
Thank You. It is a Spratling. The "Father of Mexican Silver", some say. When I look at it right side up, I can read MEXICO. My first exposure to a "hallmark". I have learned new things. Thanks, again!

Return to “Mexican Silversmiths”