Please help identify mark

Jewelry, Flatware & Holloware
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
MsBambina

Please help identify mark

Post by MsBambina »

Hello! I recently acquired a taxco sterling silver bracelet. I have searched for information about this marking, but I have not been able to find any. Can you tell me anything about this piece, its silversmith/creator, when it was made (or time period), or about the marking ("Valladares Taxco 925"). I have also included a pic of the bag it came with.

Thank you!
AG2012
contributor

Re: Please help identify mark

Post by AG2012 »

Andres Morales Valladares, Borda No 7 Pasaje Sta Prisca, Taxco. The shop (``salon``) is in the passage close to Borda square, the entrance to the passage opposite to the Archeological museum.
MsBambina

Post by MsBambina »

Oh, fantastic! When do you think it was made?
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

There is no eagle mark used between 1948 — early `70. There is no two letter number mark introduced in 1979. I doubt it could be as old as before 1948 because regulations were not strictly followed, although many pieces are offered as ``circa 1940s. `` with similar marks. I have seen many contemporary and vintage Mexican pieces stamped only with ``sterling`` Taxco. Take care with bracelets; too often they are not silver at all and only the clasp is sterling fully marked ``sterling Taxco Mexico`` the rest being white metal.

Return to “Mexican Silversmiths”