Newbie help identifying Mexican ring mark /design

Jewelry, Flatware & Holloware
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
TonyL

Newbie help identifying Mexican ring mark /design

Post by TonyL »

My searches online didn't turn up any info on this mark so I figured I'd check here. Mark is "AP" surrounded by "sterling 925 mexico" and a separate Mexico stamp.

What's also odd is I just found this one but the design is almost exactly the same as an unmarked thin band (unknown metal) I already owned (the top one in the bottom picture). Would love any info on the mark, maker, date and design...apologies if this is a newbie question!

Traintime
contributor

Re: Newbie help identifying Mexican ring mark /design

Post by Traintime »

Don't want to 2nd guess your previous search but did you got to the Mexico subsection of the World Marks section...If not, look at Antonio Pineda for a possible.
TonyL

Post by TonyL »

I didn't see any of the Antonio Pineda marks that looked the same. However if there's someone out there who's seen a similar Antonio Pineda mark I would love to know.
TonyL

Post by TonyL »

I see the Little Book of Mexican Trade and Silver Hallmarks (p138 - previewed on Google Books) has something similar but not 100%.
TonyL

Post by TonyL »

I'm assuming this is a Pineda mark since I read a few comments on another board mentioning the early marks varied.

Does anyone know about the design? Curious how another band would be so close in details.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

The recessed dark areas might borrow from stylized Native American Lightning stikes, or even snakes, which have documented meanings. Try looking to Hopi/Navajo/Apache tribal symbology, though plains may have similar depictions. Might even find an old postcard on line with a general explanation...they sold these throughout the highway stops and trading posts during the '40's-'60's.

Return to “Mexican Silversmiths”