Mexico makers mark Eagle 57?

Jewelry, Flatware & Holloware
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
SharonDelarose

Mexico makers mark Eagle 57?

Post by SharonDelarose »

Hello, and thank you for this site!

I’ve had this silver panel bracelet since the early 1980s. It was given to me as a gift and I have no idea if he purchased it new, or if it was a family heirloom. His family migrated from Cuba to the U.S. nearly five decades ago, and has lived in Florida ever since.

I’ve been all over your website, and all over the internet trying to identify this mark. I’ve even looked in Google books. All I end up with is sterling silver from Mexico.

It has what looks like an Eagle 57 mark, but none of the online Eagle lists identify #57. Nor have I seen anything that resembles the circle mark which says Mexico on one side and something that appears to end in “CWO” or “CWD” on the other.

Can you assist? I’d particularly like to know where and when it was made. Hopefully I posted the images correctly.

Thank you,
Sharon Delarose

SharonDelarose

Re: Mexico makers mark Eagle 57?

Post by SharonDelarose »

Apparently the images didn't work. I put the URLs inside the BBC img tags and it didn't pull up the images. Let me try hosting them on a different site and try again.
SharonDelarose

Post by SharonDelarose »

SharonDelarose wrote:Apparently the images didn't work. I put the URLs inside the BBC img tags and it didn't pull up the images. Let me try hosting them on a different site and try again.
Okay, here we go, the image URLs embedded in the BBC img tags:

AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.
Silhouetted eagle mark was used in late 60` early 70`.
http://www.925-1000.com/mexican_menu.html
``Hecho en Mexico`` (Made in Mexico)
The maker with assigned number 57 is known by initials AHG.
His initials appear on Tane Orfebres, a prominent silver house in Mexico City, but Tane itself did not have number 57. All said, AHG must have been a Tane subcontractor and had his own workshop.
Eagle 57 appears on jewelry signed ``Amans Choen`` but letters ``C`` and ``G`` cannot be easily distinguished, so the initials may be ``AHC``, although ``AHG`` has more reliable reference.
I hope this helps.
Regards
SharonDelarose

Post by SharonDelarose »

AG2012 wrote:Hi,
Welcome to the forum.
Silhouetted eagle mark was used in late 60` early 70`...
You are Dreamboat of the Day!

I didn't think anybody would respond for a few days. That was fast! Thank you, AG.
:-)
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

Your bracelet was likely made for the tourist trade. Two links depict one of the Aztec pyramids at Teotihuacan, with snow-capped volcanoes in the background: Ixtaccihuatl on the left and Popocateptl on the right. The links with the round mask might depict the Aztec sun god with the 4 year-bearers around the face.
SharonDelarose

Post by SharonDelarose »

JayT wrote:Your bracelet was likely made for the tourist trade. Two links depict one of the Aztec pyramids at Teotihuacan, with snow-capped volcanoes in the background: Ixtaccihuatl on the left and Popocateptl on the right. The links with the round mask might depict the Aztec sun god with the 4 year-bearers around the face.
I thought the face was odd. I did not recognize it as matching any images I've seen, and a couple of years ago I spent a lot of time looking at imagery and hieroglyphs for a research project. Teotihuacan was one of the cities I studied, Tlaloc the Jaguar God in particular :-) I thought that his image on the pyramid (not on the bracelet, but in photos of the actual pyramid) looked like a cross between a military jeep and a old-timey car. It did NOT look like a jaguar.

As for the bracelet, I'd wondered about the age because I only wore it a couple of times and then filed it away in the soft blue bag that it came in. When I came across it last week, the bag had absorbed most of the tarnish. The bracelet just has an older look to it so I figured it wasn't knew when given to me. Did they ever come in cloth bags that were designed to absorb tarnish? The tarnish "stains" bled through to the outside of the bag.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

There are basically two kinds of silver protection cloth. One has a lot of tiny silver particles embedded in it and it works by these particles sacrificially absorbing sulfur and chlorine in the air before it gets to the silver inside the cloth (Pacific cloth). The other, with different brand names (e.g. Guardian cloth), works in a similar way, but it is treated with silver nitrate rather than having pure silver in it.
There was a research in Sheffield:
http://www.hermansilver.com/kenized-pac ... h-test.pdf
Regards
SharonDelarose

Post by SharonDelarose »

AG2012 wrote:There are basically two kinds of silver protection cloth. One has a lot of tiny silver particles embedded in it and it works by these particles sacrificially absorbing sulfur and chlorine in the air before it gets to the silver inside the cloth (Pacific cloth). The other, with different brand names (e.g. Guardian cloth), works in a similar way, but it is treated with silver nitrate rather than having pure silver in it.
There was a research in Sheffield:
http://www.hermansilver.com/kenized-pac ... h-test.pdf
Regards
Whatever type of material I've got, I can definitely attest that it works! I've got other silver jewelry, mostly silver and turquoise that was never stored in a special bag (I didn't even realize that the bag was anything more than just a cute little storage bag that the bracelet came in) and the other jewelry is heavily tarnished. I used to wear it all the time but stopped for some reason. They were all in the same drawer, the only difference being that the Mexican bracelet was in the little blue bag, which is actually more like a drawstring pouch.

Return to “Mexican Silversmiths”