Who's mark is this? ALC

Jewelry, Flatware & Holloware
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
kaleidoscopejewel

Who's mark is this? ALC

Post by kaleidoscopejewel »

I hope I get the image correct!

This appears to be a cut glass inside the sterling mountings with silver painted accents. Please help me id the maker and also the type of glass this is.

jobaby53

ACL MARK

Post by jobaby53 »

I have the same set of earrings. They are clasp however. And I have the necklacewith one large stone and five smaller ones. Mine has the same ACL mark and I cannot locate it anywhere. There has been a necklace of the same offered twice on eBay but has not sold. They are saying "They have been told the stones are onyx, but I believe you are right. They are too light to be onyx. If you hear of the maker please contact me.
kaleidoscopejewel

Re: ACL MARK

jobaby53 wrote: And I have the necklacewith one large stone and five smaller ones.
Can you post a pic of the necklace? I'd love to see it.
jewell totherow

help with ALC mark on silver

Post by jewell totherow »

Hello
I think your pcs are from Antonio Castillo and Los Castillo
Taxco, the A is Antonio's marks and the L C was typical to find on
a Los Castillo pc. they have been incorperated into one mark here and I'am not positive why so I will be checking into that and will get back with you on it. Also I beleive the stone is Hemitight (probably spelled it wrong) Anyway I should be able to find something out by tomarrow. Thanks Jewell
kaleidoscopejewel

I would appreciate any info you can find out. Thanks for taking the time to respond to my inquiry.
trwalters

Re: Who's mark is this? ALC

Post by trwalters »

Hi,
The stone could be hematite. Hematite is a mercury silver grey stone used in Marcasite jewelry. They are usually very small stones that have been faceted. They add sparkle to silver jewelry. It is very beautiful and striking. I find the Mexican silversmiths do some very unconventional things with silver and semiprecious stones. Onyx is a larger black stone that is carved or used as polished cabochons. I hope you find this information helpful, Tara
ValkyrieVixen
contributor

Re: Who's mark is this? ALC

Post by ValkyrieVixen »

The stones are painted glass. These have nothing to do with Los Castillo nor Antonio, they are common tourist pieces from Guadalajara, not Taxco. The mark is mentioned in the hallmark book but with no further info.

Return to “Mexican Silversmiths”