Los Castillos

Jewelry, Flatware & Holloware
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Phoebe_7

Los Castillos

Post by Phoebe_7 »

I am looking for any info I can find on this statue.. I think it's supposed to be Virgin Mary?? Can't seem to get any info on the artist?
Hopefully, these pics will come through ok...

http://picasaweb.google.com/phoebevail/LosCastillos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2209patrick
co-admin

Post by 2209patrick »

Hi Phobe. Very nice piece.

Los Castillo was founded in 1939 by Antonio Castillo and his brothers. Jorge Castiilo is regarded as one of the most innovative silversmiths in Mexico. He developed many new techniques in making silver jewelry. A large and influencial firm in Taxco and still in business today. With so many silversmiths and designers it's hard to say who actually made your Madonna.

Your Los Castillo piece is called the "Silver and Shell Madonna".
The word Plateado means "on silver plate".
Can't see the next marks very well, but I think they are Los Castillo's registration number.
They were entered about 1980 (TA-01).

Regards,
Pat.
Phoebe_7

wow thank you

Post by Phoebe_7 »

thanks for your help... i thought that mark was TA-06 or maybe 8 but it's really hard to see. do you know what the 400 means?? I think I'm going to sell this piece and was trying to find out everything I could.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Phoebe,
I have the same piece, different hammered texture and marks that are most likely 50's vintage. It is also stamped 400 which is the design number. Will add a pic when I get the chance.
Regards, Tom

Return to “Mexican Silversmiths”