Hector Aguilar & National Sterling Co?

Jewelry, Flatware & Holloware
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
AAmonsoon

Hector Aguilar & National Sterling Co?

Post by AAmonsoon »

I picked up this wing today form a local show. I think it is a sterling sweetheart wing made in mexico by HA. Any information about this wing would be appreciated. wing is 4-3/16 inch by 1-15/16 inch. two marking on the back
"made in mexcio sterling" "NATL. sterling CO"
is this a vintage or reproduction?
thanks
Cliff

Image[/img]
byron mac donald

Post by byron mac donald »

Hi Cliff-
Funny how people see things differently. To me it looks militaria, perhaps a bombers set of wings with a "V" for victory on the bomb. I dont know why it would be made in Mexico, while the style looks either American or British. Anyway I dont know if this will help at all, just an other place to investigate.
Regards-
AAmonsoon

Post by AAmonsoon »

byron mac donald wrote:Hi Cliff-
Funny how people see things differently. To me it looks militaria, perhaps a bombers set of wings with a "V" for victory on the bomb. I dont know why it would be made in Mexico, while the style looks either American or British. Anyway I dont know if this will help at all, just an other place to investigate.
Regards-

thanks for your suggestion. this is not a G. I. bombraider wing. So, I think it is a sweetheart wing or some mexico style art work.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi, This pin is illustrated in "Silver Masters of Mexico" by Penny Morrill and the HA mark with Natl. Silver Co. is mentioned as having been done on insignia pieces.
During the WWII, many jewelry firms in the US retooled for war support work. Some, like Coro, Lampl and apparently National, turned to Mexico to fill the shortfall on jewelry production.
I suspect, even though they do not match the official specs exactly, that the wings were used as AAF insignia rather than sweetheart jewelry.

Regards, Tom
AAmonsoon

Post by AAmonsoon »

admin wrote:Hi, This pin is illustrated in "Silver Masters of Mexico" by Penny Morrill and the HA mark with Natl. Silver Co. is mentioned as having been done on insignia pieces.
During the WWII, many jewelry firms in the US retooled for war support work. Some, like Coro, Lampl and apparently National, turned to Mexico to fill the shortfall on jewelry production.
I suspect, even though they do not match the official specs exactly, that the wings were used as AAF insignia rather than sweetheart jewelry.

Regards, Tom
Thanks Tom, I have seen the pic on the book.
byron mac donald

Post by byron mac donald »

Hi Tom-
Any idea what the "HA" stands for?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Byron
Hector Aguilar
see-> Mexican Marks

Return to “Mexican Silversmiths”