Identity of Maker's Mark (Crown) for Guad Mexican Bracelet

Jewelry, Flatware & Holloware
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
teasz5

Identity of Maker's Mark (Crown) for Guad Mexican Bracelet

Post by teasz5 »

I am unsure the vintage of the bracelet, however my thoughts are that it might date around the Spanish-American War as my Great-Grandfather took part in that war. This was either given to or handed down to his daughter (my Great Aunt) who in turn gave it to my mother.

I know that PLATA stands for / means silver and while I have found many Guad Mexico peices on the WWW I haven't found any with the Crown for a makers mark (not even in your wonderfully vast maker's mark library). Needless to say I am hoping that someone will be able to shed some light on this elusive little critter so we can date it more accurately.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

SILVER BRACELET WITH BLACK OVAL GLASS / STONE "GEMS"

MAKERS MARK VIEW #1 (this one is shinier than view #2)

CROWN
PLATA 0325
GUAD MEX

MAKERS MARK VIEW #2 (this one is more dull but some parts are clearer)

CROWN
PLATA 0325
GUAD MEX

teasz5

P.S. Identity of Maker's Mark (Crown) for Guad Mexican...

Post by teasz5 »

The PLATA 0325 could also be PLATA 032 S although I am not seeing the usual space that is normally left between the numbers and the letter S when it is done that way.

Just an added thought and also the realization that I didn't sign my please help post (HOW RUDE!)

So to rectify that now....

Sincerely,

Teri Moncelle Colglazier
Antique and Vintage "Nut"
Central Illinois
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Teri,
I have no idea who the maker may be, but the Guad is for Guadalajara, the black cabs are probably onyx, the numbers are most likely a badly stamped "0.925" for the silver purity and the piece would likely date to the 30's or 40's.
Hope this helps.
Regards, Tom
teasz5

Post by teasz5 »

Hi Tom,

The Guad standing for Guadalajara gives me at least another area to pursue.

I wish I could get a really good picture of the stamping because when I view it close up and with a magnifying glass it is definitely looking like a 3 but I suppose if they were stamping it using a "upside down six" and the closed end was missing it could look like a 3.

Mom goes out to Califonia to visit my Great Aunt in a couple of weeks, so hopefully she can pick her brain and Aunt Becky can remember where / when she got it. (Aunt Becky is 91 but still pretty sharp most of the time.)

Thanks again for the insight and info and I will keep loking for the elusive crown and keep you all posted on what we learn.

Teri
Antique and Vintage "Nut"
Central Illinois

Return to “Mexican Silversmiths”