Israel ID mark

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
BBL

Israel ID mark

Post by BBL »

Hello folks,

here's another id mark from israel, it's a triangle with number 3 (facing right) inside along with ISRAEL 925 if you have any idea please respond. please check out the pictures :)

thanks in advance!

ginibelle

Re: Israel ID mark

Post by ginibelle »

Hello,
I was just looking for information on a piece with the same mark as yours and Google gave me your question. Looking at your picture I found out that your piece is obviously from the same artist as mine! It Shows only one figure, reading or studying at a table, which is mounted on the very same round plate as your three figures. Have you found out anything about it yet? I inherited the small sculpture from my grandparents and would like to find out more about it....
I'd send you a picture, but I haven't quite understood yet how to attach them in this system. If you are able to tell me how to do that, I share the photo.
Looking Forward to Hearing from you!
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Ginibelle,

Welcome to the Forum.

The below should help you:

How to Add Images

Posting Requirements

and: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=42199

Embedded images get a far greater response than just posting links.

Remember to use the 'Preview' button before submitting your post.

Trev.
jestercom

Post by jestercom »

hi i am not sure if this will help. i found a hall mark that is really close to yours but it is from the Bohemia and Moravia area. it was used from 1942 to an unknown date. since isreal was not established until 1948ish you could be looking for a Czechoslovakian silversmith who migrated after the war and adopted the mark of his home land.

http://www.h.cx/?key=&country=Bohemia+a ... &province=
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

No,forget Czech,Slovak or Moravian silversmiths who might have emigrated to Israel.Besides, number ``3`` is positioned on the base of the triangle.
In your Israel mark it is probably a letter in Hebrew.
Regards
ginibelle

Post by ginibelle »

Well, actually the hallmark is not the number three, but the greek letter Delta. Precisely a double-Delta, of which the small letter is inside the capital letter. The style of the piece, I believe, points towards the 50s or 60s, so it could well have been created after the creation of Israel. But that's all I can guess.
Thanks to Admin for the advice with the pictures, I see what I can do.
ginibelle

Post by ginibelle »

Unfortunately I have not been able to turn the picture around, but here it is:

ginibelle

Post by ginibelle »

dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Ginibelle,

Thanks for posting the image. Can you post one of the marks?

Trev.
ginibelle

Post by ginibelle »

Hi Trev,
sorry for the bad quality, my phone won't do it better and lighting is not good right now. But anyway,
here it is:

ginibelle

Post by ginibelle »

And here's the Close-up:

dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

It does appear to be the work and mark of the same silversmith.

Trev.
ginibelle

Post by ginibelle »

Yes. As you can see it is not a very high quality work. The miniature is very light and legs and arms are made out of rolled tubes that have not been entirely closed. So I believe these miniatures are "made out of" something else. All pieces seem to be composed of a thin sheet of silver that has been cut and then formed into shape. As if it where the result of some leftover, or a completely different object that has been transformed into artwork. If that is the case, then the question is: what has it been made out of? What kind of object is usually made out of or covered with thin silver sheets?
I have found some miniatures of rabbis that show similar subjects: Rabbi studying, rabbi fiddling, rabbi lighting the menhora. So these seem to be traditional themes in Jewish culture and classic souvenir subjects.
Does anybody have any idea?
ginibelle

Post by ginibelle »

Typing "chassid" or "hassid silver figurines" on Google it looks like there is a theme there...
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

It`s letter lamed in cursive Hebrew. The artist`s name begins with ``L``. I suspected it was a letter, not a number, and not Greek, either.
ginibelle

Post by ginibelle »

Thank you! :-)
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Here the letter is "Mem" and the number is "32" and it is a very thin kiddush cup....
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi Aguest,

Israel export hallmark.
The use of the Hebrew letter 'Mem'or מ with a number in the center can be traced back to its use as a confirmation that the fees imposed, at the time, had been paid. Located within the letter Mem would be a number. The number that is found within the center of the letter was believed to represent the identification number of the tax collector, as it is likely that tax may have been imposed on the item if it were to be exported. Further research revealed that numbers repeatedly found on items originating from one source may indicate that an individual number was assigned to a specific gold or silversmith, jewelry maker, or retailer. No matter to which they were assigned these marks would still indicate that appropriate fees were been paid. Mem marks have been observed on items manufactured circa mid-20th century. Examples of numbers seen within the Mem letter have been; 8,16,25,30,31,32,83, but it is likely there are others. There has also been the occasional alphanumeric combination seen as well. It is to noted that the actual mark can look distinctly different from one example to the next. This would seem to indicate that the punches may have been create individually for each entity assigned a number. To date no list defining the numbers, their corresponding agent or region has been discovered.

Source; World Hallmarks Volume II ASia, Middle East, Africa with additional commentaries on non-hallmarking regions.

Best,

Peter

Return to “Middle East”