Georgia Russia Silver Beaker Marks

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
burchard

Post by burchard »

Hi, This was reported to have been dug up in the Georgia region of Russia. It is 2 3/4"h., 2 1/4"dia. I can not track the marks on the bottom in the Russian section here. Any assitance is appreciated. Thanks.

dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Marks look more Arabic than Cyrillic to me, shape and engraving is typical of Mid-Eastern pieces. I have a similar silver cup from Egypt.

Cheryl ;o)
burchard

Beaker mark

Post by burchard »

That would explain my not matching it up to anything in the Russian area. Thanks
Hada
contributor

Post by Hada »

Hi Burchard,

I've taken a look at this item which is actually beautifully engraved. It's quite easy to discern the origin and maker. It has the name "Rida" written on it, a silversmith from Isfahan Iran. I'm not sure as to the period he worked, nevertheless, this is an Iranian, Isfahani peice. .800 silver content.

Regards,
Hada
fatso

Post by fatso »

Exquisitely engraved and probably XIXth Century vodka drinking vessel.
Probably hidden from the depradations of the Revolution thus saved from grabbing hands of sans-cullottes. And now rediscovered!
Museum piece indeed.
n4279416macfarlane

Re: Georgia Russia Silver Beaker Marks

Post by n4279416macfarlane »

I have a silver compact,with foilage decoration and 7 birds on the lid.It was given to my wife by a persian lady,in bahrain in 1968. She originated from shiraz iran.The hallmark is exactly the same as the one shown RIDA from isfahan .800.
oel
co-admin

Re: Georgia Russia Silver Beaker Marks

Post by oel »

Hi, welcome to the forums.

Thanks for your additional information! Could you show us an image of your compact & marks?

Best,

Oel.

Return to “Middle East”