Arabian Tray

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
JanGroen
contributor

Arabian Tray

Post by JanGroen »

Good evening
I am trying to find out more about this following tray. It has Arabian writing on it and maybe a hallmark of some type. It weighs 310g and is 9mm high and 20cm i diameter. It tested to be sterling or very close to it. Any information about were and when it was made will be helpful.
Thank you
Jannie

Hallmark?

MG
contributor

Re: Arabian Tray

Post by MG »

Hello
I think that this is sudanese and I have seen similar wares; especially bowls but also boxes and canisters
They always seem to be a very good grade of silver usually 925 but sometimes even 950
JanGroen
contributor

Post by JanGroen »

Thank you for this information. Been struggling for a while now.
Will go and research it some more. Sudanese silver, never thought it could be from there.
Jannie
JanGroen
contributor

Post by JanGroen »

Good Afternoon

I have been looking around on the internet and found these similar patterns on Sudanese silver. Would be nice if I could find out any new information.
Jannie

bstaunto
contributor

Post by bstaunto »

Hi Jannie,

I'm not sure if you've translated the arabic on your tray?

It is indeed Sudanese silver. And normally will have three pieces of information in the arabic:
1) the silversmiths name
2) the city it was made
3) the year it was made.

The year is interesting, it uses arabic numbers, but goes from left to right like to spell it out (as opposed to normal, where the writing goes from right to left). It looks like your tray dates to 1935?

This type of sudanese silver appears to have been produced in Anglo-Egyptian Sudan (1899-1956).

Hope that helps. :)

Ben
JanGroen
contributor

Post by JanGroen »

bstaunto wrote:Hi Jannie,

I'm not sure if you've translated the arabic on your tray?

It is indeed Sudanese silver. And normally will have three pieces of information in the arabic:
1) the silversmiths name
2) the city it was made
3) the year it was made.

The year is interesting, it uses arabic numbers, but goes from left to right like to spell it out (as opposed to normal, where the writing goes from right to left). It looks like your tray dates to 1935?

This type of sudanese silver appears to have been produced in Anglo-Egyptian Sudan (1899-1956).

Hope that helps. :)

Ben
Thank you Ben. Yes it helps a lot. I have noticed the date but were not certain. A part of the text found on the outer edge is repeated at opposite side of the date in the inner circle. Will try and load some clearer pictures. Struggling to translate it.

My mom just found this tray in a random mixed box of junk...
Groete
Jannie
bstaunto
contributor

Post by bstaunto »

Great find in a random box! Wish I had managed that!

Happy New Year!

Ben

Return to “Middle East”