Can Iranian silver use other Hallmarks? (Farsi Readers Requested)

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
mkad

Can Iranian silver use other Hallmarks? (Farsi Readers Requested)

Post by mkad »

I'm going to feel foolish if I'm misreading this...but...I have this Iranian filigree piece.
expanding a bit, we have Image
This is the only marking on the tray that I can see.
Now, to be clear, I don't speak nor read Farsi, but according to google translate, (https://translate.google.com/#en/fa/sterling%20silver)
نقره استرلینگ is the translation for "sterling silver."
Or, if you prefer Image
The first word (I know that Farsi goes right to left) in the textual phrase, with the o shaped letter is "silver," the rest after that signifies sterling. I've found by putting other phrases in, and the rest of the phrase looks a lot like the accompanying phrase on this platter. The 'sterling' part looks the same, the "silver" part looks like it may be written differently.
So, A) If anyone can here read Farsi, have I read this right, or wrong? Is this piece sterling?
B) If I'm right, does this mean that Iranian pieces don't necessarily have a national hallmark?
MG
contributor

Re: Can Iranian silver use other Hallmarks? (Farsi Readers Requested)

Post by MG »

Hello

I don't read farsi but I am a bit familiar with the alphabet and would say that what is written on the piece isn't the same as what you say google translates sterling silver as.

Iran did have a hallmarking system and as far as I know that existed during the Pahlevi era.
However, its not that common to see official hallmarks on silver even from that period.

This may be more modern

My guess is that what is written in farsi is the makers name and I suspect that the vase symbol is a symbol of the maker

Usually Iranian silver is either 84% or 90% pure. I'm not sure if I have ever since Iranian sterling silver items (92.5%) but I wouldnt rule out that possibility.
In any case I would expect it to be silver rather than plated.

Return to “Middle East”