Persian Silver Teapot (?) Hallmarked

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Tipton444

Persian Silver Teapot (?) Hallmarked

Post by Tipton444 »

Hey all!

I was incredibly lucky enough to buy this beautiful set at a flea market recently, and I would love to get some other opinions. I've sold a lot of Persian silver, but I've never been able to identify or read what their hallmarks actually mean or say. The design is typical for Persian silver, but it is testing a little weird for me. The tray underneath is hallmarked in the center, but I couldn't find any markings on the actual pot. Can someone tell me what the hallmark says? I'm hoping it's a lower grade silver marking like the 840 or 800 standard. It scratch tests strong with 18k acid for silver, but disappears with silver acid...now I've had this problem before with other sterling items, so maybe it's just my acid.

Also, can someone tell me the name for this style pot? I was told what it was called when I got it, but can't remember... I know I wouldn't classify it as a teapot, so was it a coffee or hot water pot? I apologize if the pictures come up a bit sideways.

Thank you all so very much. -Eric

AG2012
contributor

Re: Persian Silver Teapot (?) Hallmarked

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
It`s traditional hot water vessel (for making tea) known in Russia as ``samovar``.
One of the marks is ``84`` fineness .875 written in Farsi (number 4 differs from Arabic in Farsi).
Will try to identify the maker.
Regards
Tipton444

Re: Persian Silver Teapot (?) Hallmarked

Post by Tipton444 »

AG, Thank you, that is great news! Exactly what I was hoping for. And Samovar is the term I was originally told, now I remember! Excellent. A maker would be incredibly helpful but if not that's okay. :)

Return to “Middle East”