Japanese Silver Candlesticks & Hallmark?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
owendobson

Japanese Silver Candlesticks & Hallmark?

Post by owendobson »

Dear All,

I wonder if anyone can help me with identifying the hallmark (?) and origin of these silver (?) candlesticks. I have had them some years now and originally bought them as Chinese Silver. But, as my silver collecting interest (and hopefully my knowledge!) has grown, I now think that they are more likely to be Japanese (simply because of the Chrysanthemum detailing on the columns and bases). They have been on my 'mystery list' since buying them, but so far I have failed to identify them (I have searched this forum, but nothing close that I can find).

The candlesticks measure 13.5cm tall, with a base diameter of 8.5 cm.

Each candlestick bears a single hallmark (?) to the underside of the base = a pair of Japanese/Chinese characters within a diamond/lozenge shape. The mark is small and difficult to photograph, but I have done my best (in the last picture I have shown the mark the other way up, but it is the same mark).

davidross
contributor

Re: Japanese Silver Candlesticks & Hallmark?

Post by davidross »

The candlesticks are definitely Japanese and judging from the form and design, probably date to late Meiji (roughly, 1895-1912), perhaps a few years later.

The mark in the photo is in the form of a merchant's logo, which often incorporates one character (kanji) from a surname. In this case, the bottom of the character appears to be partially obscured, but the likely candidates are the following three: 伏 休 体.

To advance a hypothesis, this single mark is likely that of the retailer, not that of the maker. If there are no other marks, there is a strong possibility that the candlesticks are not sterling silver.

A quick look through some of the logo marks used by the most prominent Japanese silver retailers of the early 20th century turned up nothing similar. Hopefully, someone who has seen a clearer impression of this mark somewhere else will be able to tell more about it.
owendobson

Post by owendobson »

David, thank you very much indeed. This is helpful and interesting insight - with the benefit of having the candlesticks in hand, the first of your character sets (伏) looks to be on the mark.

With regard to them being silver or not, I haven't had them tested so you may very well be right ( not the first mistake I have made, but (if true) hopefully one of the last). I guess all that was inclining me to believe that they were silver (apart from the seller who told me they were...and I hear you all yawn at this!) is the scratched set of numerals on the base (you can see one set on the pictures I have posted: '7529') and a number of purposeful scratch marks on the underside which look as if someone (at some point) has scratched down to see what the metal is. The numerals look like the sort of marks (scratch weight etc) on some of my Georgian era British and Continental pieces of silver and the other marks don't seem to show any difference in metal colour beneath the surface - I guess that testing is the only way I will really find out (not something that I have done before).

Anyway, thanks again...much appreciated. Fingers crossed that someone knows the mark.
owendobson

Post by owendobson »

owendobson wrote:......with the benefit of having the candlesticks in hand, the first of your character sets (伏) looks to be on the mark.

....... I guess all that was inclining me to believe that they were silver (apart from the seller who told me they were...and I hear you all yawn at this!) is the scratched set of numerals on the base (you can see one set on the pictures I have posted: '7529') and a number of purposeful scratch marks on the underside which look as if someone (at some point) has scratched down to see what the metal is. The numerals look like the sort of marks (scratch weight etc) on some of my Georgian era British and Continental pieces of silver and the other marks don't seem to show any difference in metal colour beneath the surface .....-
David, I just wanted to make a correction and to add something to my previous post. Firstly, it is your middle character set (休) that closest resembles the mark on these candlesticks NOT the first (apologies). Secondly, your view that these may not be silver has sent me off down the 'alternatives' road. Based on the fact that they don't seem to be plated and that they do 'look like silver', I wonder if they might be Paktong (pure speculation as I know nothing of this material...other than what google has thrown up this evening). I know that this is most closely associated with the Chinese, but it would fit...I appreciate that (if true) this would be outside the scope of this forum.
davidross
contributor

Post by davidross »

Hi Owen

I suspect you are right about the candlesticks being Paktong, or some such alloy of nickel, as the mark on the bottom appears to be cast. If this is the case, I would revise the date to slightly later, say 1900-1930. I have a hurricane-style Japanese candlestick of this material that has an early 1930s Japanese patent on it. As Japan rapidly industrialized in the late 19th century, hand-forged iron and brass were (with some notable exceptions) replaced by mass manufacturing and its "modern" materials.

The mark you show, a single character placed inside a diamond-shaped #, is quintessentially Japanese, and (in my knowledge) this distinctive style of trademarking was only used by the Japanese.

So many older Japanese metalworks did not survive the tumultuous 20th century, with its sweeping scrap drives of the WWII era and not infrequent natural and manmade disasters, that you should be quite happy to have an attractive pair of antique Japanese candlesticks in apparently fine condition, even if they are a bit off-topic for this forum.

Cheers
David
owendobson

Post by owendobson »

David, thank you that is very encouraging - I am looking at them in an entirely new light (excuse the pun). Whilst this may be a bit OT now, if I manage to learn anything more about them, I will post it here (for closure). Thanks again for your time and your insight. Regards, Owen
rauls
contributor

Post by rauls »

Doesn't look like伏.
Might be 休, 体 or 佐
owendobson

Post by owendobson »

Thank you, I am grateful for the advice. I have put my extra strong specs on and I agree that is closest. Can I ask what the respective characters say (I assume it's a name?). Thanks again, Owen
rauls
contributor

Post by rauls »

It's the maker's mark, might be a part of the maker's name (it's not a surname in Japan).
owendobson

Post by owendobson »

Understood, many thanks. Owen
jbear

Post by jbear »

Hi, just wondering if you have found out any more information about this mark please?
As I have a box with the same mark.
Kind regards
Jazz
owendobson

Post by owendobson »

Hello Jazz,

No, sorry the mark remains a mystery. To be honest, I consigned it to the 'too difficult' pile and simply enjoy using the candlesticks. I hope you are more tenacious than me and can get to the bottom of it...if you do, please come back and put me out of my misery!

Best wishes,

Owen

Return to “Far East”