Japanese cigarette case with family crest?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
RedMask
contributor

Japanese cigarette case with family crest?

Post by RedMask »

Hello guys!

Unfortunately is no maker mark on this item. I think, the logo on the top is the family crest.
Maybe someone knows who used this type of chrysanthemum crest?

Thank you.

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage
RedMask
contributor

Re: Japanese cigarette case with family crest?

Post by RedMask »

I found this picture on the japanese site.
"My" emblem is shown along with the crests of the royal family, but still have no idea to whom it belonged...

ImageImage
RedMask
contributor

Post by RedMask »

I finished my little research - this crest belongs Princely House of Yamashina.
On another site someone opined that cigarette case can be an imperial gift...

Anyway, for me it's a nice thing, full of Japanese minimalism.

ImageImage
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi RedMask,

Thanks for taking the time to update the topic, it is appreciated.

Oddly enough, I recently obtained a book on Japanese crests (it lists over 4,000 of them), and I thought your question would be the first one that it would crack, but no, despite the many chrysanthemum devices listed, yours was not amongst them.

Trev.
davidross
contributor

Post by davidross »

That is a good piece of sleuthing. The reason this crest would not be included in a book of crests is that there were only three generations to the Yamashina line before SCAP abolished it (along with all collateral imperial lines) in 1947, so this crest was only in use for 89 years.

I see another cigarette case with this crest, although that one is fully marked with silver purity and the maker's name. Is the OP certain that this one has no marks at all?

There is little doubt that both cigarette cases were associated with the third and last of the line, Prince Yamashina Takehiko (1898-1987), the so-called "flying prince" who was a lieutenant in the Imperial Japanese Navy. He went completely mad with grief following the death of his pregnant wife and unborn child in the Great Kanto Earthquake of 1923, and retired from public life in 1932. Evidently he was in and out of mental hospitals and was never see again publicly. He never remarried and died without issue. Wikipedia has a brief article on him:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Yamashina_Takehiko

Regards
David R
RedMask
contributor

Post by RedMask »

Thank for your answers!
When googled a bit, i found a very similar cigarette case with the same crest and in original box, marked "銀鈴木製"

Tomorrow I'll examine more, but it looks like my cigarette case don't have hallmarks or maker's mark.
trechic

Post by trechic »

RedMask wrote:I found this picture on the japanese site.
"My" emblem is shown along with the crests of the royal family, but still have no idea to whom it belonged...

ImageImage
I was curious where you found this image? The top right crest is on a piece that I have. I would like to try and find out the meaning behind this crest. I appreciate the assistance if at all possible.

Return to “Far East”