Straits chinese silver ring

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
resta

Straits chinese silver ring

Post by resta »

Greetings,

I recently purchased this ring from Singapore. It's said to be made in the early 1900s, when european symbolism was preferred in jewellery. Anyone have any information about this kind of design? I haven't found anything like such browsing online. Any information would be gladly received.

Thank you,
E.

dognose
Site Admin

Re: Straits chinese silver ring

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

The design seems, to me, to be very loosely based on the Claddagh. If you pump the word into the search box in the top right-hand corner, you'll find other topics on the subject.

Are there no marks on the ring?

Trev.
resta

Re: Straits chinese silver ring

Post by resta »

Thank you so much for your quick reply, Trev!

There are no markings in this ring. The seller had this text with the ring:

Straits-made likely in the early 1900s, this is a delicate, lightweight band that features a bright-cut clover and leaflets, unmarked though guaranteed sterling grade silver or higher. In 1897 the Settlements celebrated Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee, and early adornment of Straits make sometimes feature European motifs such as this popular three-leaf clover. However, it is increasingly uncommon to find such whimsical old pieces with Victorian symbols and motifs

But you're right, the symboling in the ring does appear to resemble claddagh-design!

Return to “Far East”