Sugar and Creamer Help

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
zombieraccoon

Sugar and Creamer Help

Post by zombieraccoon »

Sitting here watching tv and rubbing down silver. I have a sugar bowl and creamer. When I picked them up I initially thought the mark said 950, but now that i clean them up, it looks more like a 95 and perhaps a backwards D. there are no other marks on them, and if anyone would be able to tell me more such as possible manufacturer and approximate age, I would greatly appreciate it.

zombieraccoon

Re: Sugar and Creamer Help

Post by zombieraccoon »

on closer examination, it may be 95C and the line may be the edge of the stamp.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Are both the sugar bowl and the creamer hallmarked with the exact same set of marks? This is indeed curious because I am looking closely at a few of the letters and they seem crooked, and the "S" looks like an upside-down number five. Maybe I am just seeing the letters incorrectly. I see what you mean about the 950 being a 95C or maybe something else? This is indeed curious, I am not sure what to think, sorry I couldn't be more helpful but hopefully someone else will chime in and be able to shed some light on the situation.
zombieraccoon

Post by zombieraccoon »

Both have the same marks the other looks more like a C than a backwards D, I would have thought they just didnt get a full imprint fromnthe stamp they used but its deep and not rolled off at the edges The one pictured lookes like a C with a line through the opening that extends above and below the opening, so not exactly a backwards D, and that line is not as deep as thw rest of the stamp. which is why i believe it is the edge if the stamp, while on tge other piece it is barely visible.
zombieraccoon

Post by zombieraccoon »

now that it is daylight i can get some better pics with the zoom and no flash. The way the right side fades out on the one stamp, i just figured this was a 950 stamp but the other stamp is qhat now has me curious.
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Hi ~ welcome to the forums.

Despite their style, these are almost certainly post WWII Japanese, intended for an American market - the '0' on the '950' punch was damaged, and it would indicate the fineness...

~Cheryl
zombieraccoon

Post by zombieraccoon »

dragonflywink wrote:Hi ~ welcome to the forums.

Despite their style, these are almost certainly post WWII Japanese, intended for an American market - the '0' on the '950' punch was damaged, and it would indicate the fineness...

~Cheryl
Thank you, was my initial thought on them as well. They are quite large for sterling pieces that are not weighted/reinforced. 5.5ozt and the broken punch added to the curiosity of them. I appreciate it, will see if I can find a mtch with contemporary japanese pieces.
Ag999
contributor

Post by Ag999 »

A simple "STERLING 950" is a common Japanese 20th C. mark. "STERLING 950 SILVER" is not common, but I would certainly still go along with the Japan designation.

Return to “Far East”