Japanese or Chinese Silver Marks?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
TC82

Japanese or Chinese Silver Marks?

Post by TC82 »

I recently bought some small silver sauce bowls. There are two different marks on the bottom inside of the rim for each of them. Some have the first mark and some have the second mark. The design and shape is the same for all of them. Can anyone help me translate these marks or provide me with any additional info on them.

zhaosu
contributor

Re: Japanese or Chinese Silver Marks?

Post by zhaosu »

It's made by Feiwenyuan Yuji in Shanghai, China, earlier 20c. Feiwenyuan (費文元) is the name of the firm (or the brand), Yuji (裕記) is shop name (bench name). Feiwenyuan was one of the nine important gold- & silversmiths' brands in Shanghai before 1949 (later Qing to the Republic of China period).
TC82

Post by TC82 »

Thanks so much for all the information. Would you also have any info on the fineness of silver. Is it sterling or 750 or a different alloy? I don't think they are silver plated.
zhaosu
contributor

Post by zhaosu »

TC82 wrote:Thanks so much for all the information. Would you also have any info on the fineness of silver. Is it sterling or 750 or a different alloy? I don't think they are silver plated.
Yes, it's solid silver. Normally, the fineness of the silverware made or retailed by those important firms in Shanghai before 1950 should be around 930 to 970, at least higher than 900. You're welcome.
zhaosu
contributor

Post by zhaosu »

Not like many other firms or shops in China, the nine great brands (including Feiwenyuan) in Shanghai never used 'Pure Silver' marks in any silverware, only gold items bear the mark for the material. Since they didn't retail silver-plated items, anything looks silver should be in solid silver.
TC82

Post by TC82 »

Great information. Thanks again for all your help.

Return to “Far East”