Spoon 4" Paper Lantern Finial

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Traintime
contributor

Spoon 4" Paper Lantern Finial

Post by Traintime »

The Sterling mark at tip of bowl back...no other marks. Left the tarnish on as it kind of makes it look better in that goldish tint. Anything matching style? TIA

dognose
Site Admin

Re: Spoon 4" Paper Lantern Finial

Post by dognose »

Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Your spot on..dead match on bowl. So, one lost maker using terms "Silver" and "Sterling" (or a re-used mold). We'll have to see what else they came up with..might be a box revealing the source. Patience does everything but kill off these darn wasps flooding the garden!
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Sorry running in & out all day--pesky garden stuff. Mold used figuratively, as in "cut from the same". I would expect these bowls are actually stampings. BTW patience does seem to work with wasps and hornets...by the end of the day they commit suicide by finally going into the traps.
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

The stylized cherry blossom (sakura) bowls are definitely die-struck - they're pretty common, I have examples in coffee spoons, sippers, and salt spoons, with a wide variety of finials (charms on the sippers). Doubt many, if any, date earlier than post WWII, and believe the only Japanese manufacturer/retailer labels I've run across were from the Tokyo-based Okubo Brothers, though suspect they were probably also produced by others...

~Cheryl
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

As always, many thanks Cheryl.

Return to “Far East”