Art Nouveau style silver ring with C D F in the center of D?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
barbeem

Art Nouveau style silver ring with C D F in the center of D?

Post by barbeem »

Have beautiful ring with a turquoise stone and art nouveau flower designs, need help identifying the marks -

X
X

thanks
barb
weetziebat

Post by weetziebat »

This is just a guess, I'm no expert. Perhaps it is a T and F in a circle but it got cut off. Theodor Fahrner had a mark similar to that and did a lot of art nouveau pieces.
barbeem

Art Nouveau style silver ring/ C D F or T with F in a circle

Post by barbeem »

thanks I will follow up and check that out
I appreciate your time and expertise!!
barb
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,
Don't think there is any chance it is by Fahrner. Despite the Art Nouveau feel of it, I think that is a 1985 copyright date.
The "©" symbol did not come into common use on silver until the late 20th century, although the use of the full word "copyright" can be seen back into the 1880's.
Regards, Tom

ps. Fahrner's protected designs were marked "depose" or "dep."
barbeem

Real mystery ring

Post by barbeem »

I think I agree with you, tried to find info about Fahmer - dead end. This ring is becoming a real mystery. thanks for your time and expertise
barb
weetziebat

Post by weetziebat »

Well it was just a guess haha. I've only started getting really interested in silver markings last week so I suppose it wasn't a horrible guess. :D
barbeem

thanks again

Post by barbeem »

that's how we learn - I am trying to learn silver markings too, but at times it seems overwhelming - thanks goodness for the internet!
barb
silvercrown

Post by silvercrown »

In 1947 the U.S. Congress expanded copyright laws to include illustrations of merchandise & designs for art works. In 1955 a Federal judge ruled that jewelry designs were "works of art" and therefore should be accorded the protection of the U.S. copyright laws (based on a lawsuit that Trifari won against Chanel in 1955). Most jewelry, bearing the copyright mark dates to after 1955. There are some exceptions, e.g. Korda jewelry (late 1930s) where the copyright protects the movie that inspired the design, not the jewelry design itself.

Silvercrown
ValkyrieVixen
contributor

Post by ValkyrieVixen »

A friend of mine found this by searching trademarks:

Word Mark CDF
Goods and Services (ABANDONED) IC 014. US 028. G & S: jewelry. FIRST USE: 19881212. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19881212
Mark Drawing Code (5) WORDS, LETTERS, AND/OR NUMBERS IN STYLIZED FORM
Serial Number 74042307
Filing Date March 23, 1990
Current Filing Basis 1A
Original Filing Basis 1A
Owner (APPLICANT) Felley, Inc. CORPORATION NEW MEXICO 4611 Menaul North East Albuquerque NEW MEXICO 87110
Attorney of Record MARK A. ROGERS
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator DEAD
Abandonment Date January 22, 1991
shanamaidela

seems unlikely but...

Post by shanamaidela »

did you check the fred davis marks?
ValkyrieVixen
contributor

Post by ValkyrieVixen »

It's 100% not Fred Davisl, not even close.
It's the Felley co I mentioned in the trademark info, there was a picture of the exact mark with the info I got but it didn't copy over.
laura1

Post by laura1 »

CDF is a mark used by Carol Felley, I think an early mark for her, she's a New Mexico designer. I also have a piece of her work, very well made and beautiful.
ValkyrieVixen
contributor

Post by ValkyrieVixen »

This mark, that often goes un ID'd, is also for Felley Inc. It was used at the same time as the other one for a short time. Filed 11/16/90, cancelled 3/15/03.

ValkyrieVixen
contributor

Post by ValkyrieVixen »

Just had a thought, most manufacturers have more than one designer. Relios is owned by Carolyn Pollack who does a lot of the designs but not all of them. Her pieces have her CP mark, the others just have the Relios crescent R.
How would one know if it was designed by Carol Felley or another designer?
laura1

Post by laura1 »

Carol Feeley is on facebook, you might send her a message through there.
crazy4silver

Art Nouveau Style Ring

Post by crazy4silver »

I'd like to say that in my opinion, this ring is Native American and not art nouveau. The leaves and designs are what you'd see in Native American hand crafted pieces, as well as having the turquoise stone.
rasmusselena

Post by rasmusselena »

Hi
CD F is a mark used by Carol Felley, I think an early mark for her, she's a New Mexico designer.
In 1947 the U.S. Congress expanded copyright laws to include illustrations of merchandise & designs for art works. In 1955 a Federal judge ruled that jewelry designs were "works of art" and therefore should be accorded the protection of the U.S. copyright laws (based on a lawsuit that Trifari won against Chanel in 1955). Most jewelry, bearing the copyright mark dates to after 1955.
---------------------
silverly

Post by silverly »

Here's what the USPTO has again:
X
The last time I did this it is likely that tinypic let me upload the image without signing in, so the image wasn't as permanent.
ValkyrieVixen
contributor

Post by ValkyrieVixen »

They had more than one mark, the f and the CDF were both for Felley.
silverly

Post by silverly »

Just for the sake of discussion, along with the two that are already shown in this thread here are some other Felley trademarks concerning jewelry that I noticed on the USPTO site with their registration years:

X
A CHANCE FOR SURVIVAL (1993)

X

STYLE CONSCIENCE (2009)

Return to “American Jewelry”