Hand Chased Sterling Cuff Marked "Reynolds"

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
silvercrown

Hand Chased Sterling Cuff Marked "Reynolds"

Post by silvercrown »

This is a gorgeous, sterling, hand chased, cuff bracelet. It is signed "Reynolds". It has a design or inventory mark. It is also marked "Hand Chased". I cannot find any info on Reynolds. Any help? Thanks!

Silvercrown

JLDoggett
co-admin

Post by JLDoggett »

Silver,

When I worked for Towle Silversmiths, way back in the last century, we had several of the chasers who would make pieces like this during their lunch hours. There was a guy there named Layton Reynolds who worked there and the pattern incorperates elements like a those we used. While I can not say he definately made your bracelet, it looks very much like one. I am sure the same type of "government work" was done by many of the workers in the various silver producing plants in the U.S. The maker's-name-stamps were usually made inhouse by the die-sinkers and most were never registered. As for the inventory number, some would keep track of how many (overall) they had made and sometimes the numbers were left from them taking the the metal from the bottom of a damaged tray, tespot, coffee pot.

Best regards
silvercrown

Post by silvercrown »

Well, isn't that just fascinating? I can't tell you how much we appreciate this information. It is such a lovely piece. We are thrilled to have this information and actually, hope its true. It makes it even more unique.

Best to you too,

Silvercrown

Return to “American Jewelry”