Large Intricate Silver necklace marked RA only.

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
chrismittty

Large Intricate Silver necklace marked RA only.

Post by chrismittty »

I aqquired this awesome hunk of unmarked silver the other day, thinking it was sterling or coin, and the owner thinking it was junk. Bought it and liked just becuase it was interesting, and close to three ounces and looked like old handmade silver I have crosssed paths with that I could not afford. Its marked RA only, and its only on the clasp. I would figure its likely ".925" wasn't the commonplace at the time this was made and "Ster" Or Sterling couldn't fit or has rubbed off. RA is who I am serching for, because they are a brilliant artisan and I would love to see more of their work.
Acid tested Silver with 18k and "red" acid, and theres no way this babys plated. So all I know is its Intricate, Heavy, Old, and Silveralloy of some higher grde ....The rest I am hoping you all can help direct me toward :)

chrismittty

Re: Large Intricate Silver necklace marked RA only.

Post by chrismittty »

So I have done a little reading that has left me in a three way cross road. Well more like a 2 way, I doubt it is a "Taxco" as some feebayy seller has a smaller one listed as, Its Identical, but about 30 grams lighter, Oh and I had weighed it with a pendant slide, Its 55 grams or so, Still a real hefty slab. Now for the Two that make some sense; either Native American or Indian seem the most likely after doing some reading elsewhere. One Jewelry Info Site, Somebody found one on the beach with a metal detector and was asking, and some comments say maybe two different Native American Smiths, Rita Abeita and Ray Adakai, both Navajo. I plan on further researching both of them and their styles. Another Online seller located in "Israel" has some very similar, marked the same, vintage "RAJASTHAN INDIAN SILVERSMITHS" items that are made with the same style and design just different overall piece marked RA aswell. They listed similar items as late 20th century "Tribal" Jewelry...Now I am also going to see what I can find on that whole front, I found very little simply goooogling the name of the "place?" I think It is a place? Rajasthan? Well Anyways, If anyone is familliar with any of the people or styled or places PLEASE coment or add, I want people who come across awesome items like this to know and understand what they have.

Thanks for looking, If you have any thoughts, comments, anything please feel free and do!
ValkyrieVixen
contributor

Post by ValkyrieVixen »

It's definitely not Taxco nor NA, the Rajasthan info is correct, it's a place in India. These can be bought from wholesalers in the same designs as older ones so age is hard to determine. They are often 800 or 900 silver.
chrismittty

Post by chrismittty »

ValkyrieVixen wrote:It's definitely not Taxco nor NA, the Rajasthan info is correct, it's a place in India. These can be bought from wholesalers in the same designs as older ones so age is hard to determine. They are often 800 or 900 silver.

Nice! Thank you so much for the clarification, I had seen nearly the same pieces all called those three, but the Raj, makes sense after some reading. Its a shame, I hoped it was NA, I came across a TON of NA style unmarked silver rings, and this was right there too, I Just assumed.

Kind of a shame they make the old ones with the same design as the new ones.... Seems Unlikely Ill be able to accurately date this thing.

Return to “American Jewelry”