Help with Sterling Marcasite earrings with F in a gem-diamond shape

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Lothruin

Help with Sterling Marcasite earrings with F in a gem-diamond shape

Post by Lothruin »

I purchased these sterling silver clip-on earrings, featuring a man in the moon over an onyx round, with inset marcasite stars and what appears to be ruby or ruby-imposter chips in the eyes, at a thrift store recently. They are clearly marked 925 on both the clip and the silver back. They are well-made. The maker's mark is an F in a gem-diamond shape.

I have seen a number of people asking about this mark on various sites around the internet, and aside from a few suggestions that it is Fessendon (wrong type of diamond) I haven't found anything. Appears to be on a lot of low-end "fine" jewelry, and I would be surprised if it isn't something along the lines of the Bluebird mass-marketed affordable stuff, possibly department store brand.

What I HAVE found are a number of modern and reproduction brooches and earrings that are very similar (one in particular which was produced by Vintage Creations), but they differ from mine specifically in the shape of the onyx. Most of what I saw has had lightly-domed onyx, rather than the squared off edges of mine. And being both a jeweler and a vintage collector myself, I know better than to trust any eBay or Etsy seller labeling something "vintage".

I'm under no illusions that these are particularly vintage, or valuable. They are pretty and well-made and with my metal allergy I can't wear post-earrings anymore, so finding funky clip-ons is always a plus for me. But I DO like to know what I have, so if anyone has run across an actual ID for this mark, I would be so pleased.

Thanks.
Toolman0114

Re: Help with Sterling Marcasite earrings with F in a gem-diamond shape

Post by Toolman0114 »

I have a silver ring with the exact same "F" hallmark and have been unable to get any help IDing it. If you find anything let me know.

Return to “American Jewelry”