Hammered Snake Cuff Makers Mark Help

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Snoeflake

Hammered Snake Cuff Makers Mark Help

Post by Snoeflake »

Hello,

I stumped Antiques Roadshow with this cuff in August 2016. Does anyone know who created this and/or the history?
Inscription - Joseph Clarence Grimm Qua Zra (leaf stamp) 1933 makers/metal mark.
I spent hours researching marks and JCG with zero results...thoughts?

Thanks!
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Hammered Snake Cuff Makers Mark Help

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

I'm sure you are aware, but I wasn't, and maybe others were not also, that Joseph Clarence Grimm, was a known collector of Native American artefacts and a National Councillor for the Indian Confederation of America and the Indian Association of America.

Trev.
silverly

Post by silverly »

Here's a book that has some sort of a reference to both of the individuals marked on your cuff: Title The Old Indian's Almanac: Being a Cronological [sic] Account of Land Cessions, Treaties, Etc., and the Various Quarrels ... Between the N.A. Indians and the U.s. Gov't., from ... 1550 to 1938
Compiled by Chinquilla
Publisher Indian Craft Museum, 1937
Original from University of Iowa
Digitized Mar 25, 2016
Length 28 pages

I found it on an Advanced Google Book Search. If you look it up, you'll see it has been for sale by Amazon and Abe Books, and it is in a few libraries; however a couple of them that I checked listed it as non circulating. I get the impression that it is more like a pamphlet than a book.

I apologize for this being so vague, but if you're interested enough, it may be of some use.
Snoeflake

Post by Snoeflake »

Thanks dognose and silverly!

I did not know that JCG was a known collector of Native American artifacts (and I researched him for 2+ hours online) and neither did the three experts at Antiques Roadshow, ha. I will check out The Old Indians Almanac as well.

So glad I found this forum : )

Return to “American Jewelry”