Information Regarding Georg Jensen

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
quaintly

Information Regarding Georg Jensen

Postby quaintly » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:46 am

Hi there! I'm new so please let me know if I contravene forum etiquette! found this marvellous thread whilst researching Georg Jensen.
I have a pendant and chain that I believe is a George Jensen "Pendant of the Year 1993" with 2 amethyst cabuchons. However, having searched on the internet, including your very helpful forum, I am puzzled about the markings.
On the pendant:
1993 - presumably the year
GJLd - the shop in London that imported the item
DENMARK - made on Denmark
925S - Sterling Silver
In a cartouche, a symbol that looks like the lower part of the leg (the calf) with a foot at both ends, each facing the opposite way. Similar to an elongated 'Z'. I thought this might be a designer's mark but can't find anything like it online.

On the chain fastening:
GJLd - the shop in London that imported the item

My queries are:
1. Why is there no actual GJ maker's mark on it? If it is a fake it seems to be a good one. It weighs g if that helps. All the other similar GJ items I have seen online have the post-1945 mark of GJ in a circle of dots.
2. What is the 'lower leg' mark?
Thank you in anticipation!

dognose
Site Admin

Re: Information Regarding Georg Jensen

Postby dognose » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:01 am

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Your question cannot be answered without the required images. The below should help you:

How to Add Images

Posting Requirements

and: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=42199

http://www.tinypic.com is recommended. Embedded images get a far greater response than just posting links or thumbnails.

Remember to use the 'Preview' button before submitting your post.

Trev.

quaintly

Re: Information Regarding Georg Jensen

Postby quaintly » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:37 pm

Hi Trev
Thank you very much for your help. I had trouble finding a camera to take a detailed photo of the marks - I'd seen them through a magnifying glass. In the end I found a magnifying glass function on my phone which was strong enough to show up an English silver mark and also showed that the "lower leg" thingy is, in fact, the "island' of silver formed in the centre of the post-1945 Georg Jensen maker's mark.
So, mystery solved - thank you!

Return to “European Jewelry”