Ridiculously small hallmarks that make no sense.

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Markaty

Ridiculously small hallmarks that make no sense.

Post by Markaty »

Hi guys,

I bought a chain mail purse at an auction which is of a nice quality.

I managed to find a hallmark on the stem of the clasp but I can't make head nor tail of it. Looks like a knight Templar holding a 7. Pretty sure it's not

It may be German Silver as the purse came with a lot of 800 stamped Silver

If anyone knows anything please give me a clue

All the best,

Markaty

ImageImage
oel
co-admin

Re: Ridiculously small hallmarks that make no sense.

Post by oel »

Hi Markaty,

Your silver mesh purse. Those are Dutch marks; script V ; duty mark for imported gold and silver objects, the V for the Dutch word ˜vreemd" which translate to foreign. The mark gives no guarantee of standard of fineness. It was intended for imported objects only. It was however sometimes by mistake used on old objects of national origin.Used 1906-1953.
For more information see;
http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=32028

The other mark with the number 7 is the 1906 weight indication mark. These weight indication marks consist of a series of 20, with the numbers 1 to 20, multiply the number by five to obtain the gross weight in grams, in this case the weight; 7x5 = 35 gram. These marks give no guarantee by themselves but must always occur in combination with hallmarks or duty marks. Until 1932 the gross weight of the object was indicated, afterwards the net weight of the precious metal. Valid from 1906 till present

Peter

Return to “European Jewelry”