Mexican? 25/000 Gold*Silber Crescent Necklace

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
chrismittty

Mexican? 25/000 Gold*Silber Crescent Necklace

Post by chrismittty »

I have never seen marks quite like this, they are strange, and based on "common sense" (hardly) or whatever you call it I assume it is a form of gold fill on silver marking, or one for Gold plate over Silver? I only assumed it to be mexican, due to the looks of it and the word "Silber" BUT I could be waaay off. I hope you guys here can shed some light on it, as I got it for a great deal, and think it is neat regardless of composition. Can't quite tell if it is 925/000 or if it is 925/999 or just simply 25/000 but I figure it is a gold fill on silver mark?

Whole thing:

"Company Mark" or something, is like 2 E's and an SP in between them. E<SP>E (CLOSEST I CAN MAKE ON KEYBOARD)

And finally, the strange 25/000 or 25/999 Gold*Silber Marking...
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Mexican? 25/000 Gold*Silber Crescent Necklace

Post by dognose »

Hi Chris,

A friend informs me that your necklace was made by Friedrich Speidel of Pforzheim.

It would be made from a non precious base metal with a fused layer of precious metal alloy overlaid on to it.

The signification of the punch 25/000 is the quantity of precious metal that has been used.

See: http://www.925-1000.com/Fgerman_marks_a1884_5.html

Trev.
chrismittty

Post by chrismittty »

dognose wrote:Hi Chris,

A friend informs me that your necklace was made by Friedrich Speidel of Pforzheim.

It would be made from a non precious base metal with a fused layer of precious metal alloy overlaid on to it.

The signification of the punch 25/000 is the quantity of precious metal that has been used.

See: http://www.925-1000.com/Fgerman_marks_a1884_5.html

Trev.

Nice work! That was super fast! I had a look at the link, and the marking sure looks the same, or very very similar. Can you help me understand the composition a bit better via the markings? I do not have it in hand yet and am very intrigued. So the gold and Silver is basically irrelevant on this? it is essentially "Gold filled" Or Silver-Filled? Do you think this is an older or more modern mark? Based on the style I would figure a somewhat vintage piece, but I am not sure, and styles can be made for years....

Thanks again Trev, Much appreciated!

-Chris
chrismittty

Post by chrismittty »

I am a tad embarrassed as I live with a German friend, and hear him say Silber often as well...I am located in an area where Mexican or Spanish speaking nations would be about 88% more likely than German so I am caught off guard.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Chris,

Yes, the amount of precious metal will be minimal. As for the date, it's likely to be the mid to second half of the 20th century.

I've just added some details regarding the Speidel firm. They can be found on page two of: Pforzheim Advertisements

Trev.
chrismittty

Post by chrismittty »

dognose wrote:Hi Chris,

Yes, the amount of precious metal will be minimal. As for the date, it's likely to be the mid to second half of the 20th century.

I've just added some details regarding the Speidel firm. They can be found on page two of: Pforzheim Advertisements

Trev.
Trev, you say this "Little precious metals,'' or minimal, did you mean, gold or silver would be minimal? Based on he markings its confusing and but is this "minimal" based on company information or personal experience? Could MOST be "base metal" with gold overlay or Gold Fill yet a few be Gold Filled Silver? Mine tests as silver for certain, no doubt in my mind, and with it being gold color and saying "gold and silber, I Assumed there may be gold content...as it does test as silver, all over when tested on a touchstone.....Is this unusual?

Return to “European Jewelry”