Help with hallmark please!

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
siskin

Help with hallmark please!

Post by siskin »

I have a pair of red stone cufflinks with a hallmark I can't place. It has a woman's head facing right, with an alpha before it and 875 after. It isn't quite right for a Polish hallmark as far as I can see, not does it quite fit the Russian Second Kokoshnik mark: it seems to have elements of both?

Also, is the '2C5' before it likely to be some kind of maker's mark? Or perhaps a design number / code?

Any help will be most gratefully received. Thanks!

olga_kehl
contributor

Re: Help with hallmark please!

Post by olga_kehl »

Hello, Siskin, it's Soviet hallmark "worker with hammer". If you will wait till evening, I'll found the maker's mark (and the year) for you in the reference book.
siskin

Post by siskin »

Hello Olga,

Thank you so much! I had wondered if it was St Petersburg with the alpha, but the rest of it didn't seem to 'fit'. I really appreciate you going to all this trouble for me - I'm very grateful!
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
I can offer the following information.
Leningrad (St Petersburg) assay office (Greek letter ``alpha``) used 1927 – 1958 for items less than 10 grams. Greek letters were abolished in May 1958.
2С5 stands for Ювелирный завод "Русские самоцветы" (Jewelry Factory "Russian Gems")
``2`` indicates the factory №2 (завод) which belonged to "Russian Gems” trust. №2 factory was founded in 1932, located at No.32 Borovoy Street (not to be confused with year 1927 when the trust was reorganized).
``5`` refers to year 1955.
Let`s wait for other members, either supporting or correcting my information.
Regards
siskin

Post by siskin »

Hello AG2012 and thank you for all this wonderful information. I am really happy to know all this - so much information from so few tiny marks. It's very kind of you to take the time to let me know. I really appreciate it.
olga_kehl
contributor

Post by olga_kehl »

AG2012 wrote: Leningrad (St Petersburg) assay office... factory #2 of "Russian Gems”... year 1955
I think you are brilliantly right ))

Return to “European Jewelry”