Mistery sings on silver brosh

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
sladjanasm71

Mistery sings on silver brosh

Post by sladjanasm71 »

Hello, friends.
I hope that you can help me to solve one mistery. The brosh is old and silver, with two stones, like smaragd. But I have a problem with finding out where it comes from and how old it is.
X X
There are three signs, one of them is on the pin. It is something like a bird in the square, or upside down like the letter S in the square. The other one is like OO or CO following with something like a picture of a tail. And the third one (on the pin) is eather MCTAIL or some year in roman numbers.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.
huszas76
contributor

Re: Mistery sings on silver brosh

Post by huszas76 »

Hello!
Are you sure, it's silver? I read metall in the pin, and it's a little bit suspicious for me.
BEst regards!
Krisztián
olga_kehl
contributor

Post by olga_kehl »

Well, could be "OOK" just "800"?
Crystals looks like glass.
sladjanasm71

Post by sladjanasm71 »

Yes, I think it could be 800...
sladjanasm71

Post by sladjanasm71 »

To huszas76

I thouth about that too, but its checked. In most of the languages we write "METAL" with one L and I think that the Germans write with two L, not sure.
Also I think, the second letter is not E but C.

Anyway, if you have any more thoughts I would like to hear them. Even if a pin is metal, I would like to find out where and when the brosh was made.
sladjanasm71

Re: Mistery signs on silver brosh

Post by sladjanasm71 »

sladjanasm71 wrote:Hello, friends.
I hope that you can help me to solve one mistery. The brosh is old and silver, with two stones, like smaragd. But I have a problem with finding out where it comes from and how old it is. Im new here, so I dont know if Im allow to post some pictures, anyway Ill try to explain.

There are three signs, one of them is on the pin. It is something like a bird in the square, or upside down like the letter S in the square. The other one is like OO or CO following with something like a picture of a tail. And the third one (on the pin) is eather MCTAIL or some year in roman numbers.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
This is an impossible mission with partially struck what appears to be maker`s mark.
As already mentioned ``metal`` is spelled with two ``L`` in German.
It was common practice with composite items made of silver and non precious metals to be marked appropriately.
Stones look well set, the brooch can be easily checked if silver (.800).
That`s it.
Regards
sladjanasm71

Re: Mistery signs on silver brosh

Post by sladjanasm71 »

Thank you so much, AG2012...

I wonder if you just know up to when "It was common practice with composite items made of silver and non precious metals to be marked appropriately".

I'll leave this issue now, but I hope it stays here, because maybe someone has simular brosh.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Late 19th or 20 century with metal needles. Earlier jewelry I have was made entirely of gold and silver. My experience.
Regards
sladjanasm71

Post by sladjanasm71 »

Thanks again.

Return to “European Jewelry”