Antique Sterling Silver Earrings with Unknown Mark

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
elaram

Antique Sterling Silver Earrings with Unknown Mark

Post by elaram »

These are antique earrings that have a mark I just can't pin down. It looks like a dog's head or possibly a horse head. It has the ears (two distinctive ears) standing up (which eliminates Austro-Hungary) and is facing right. It looks like there is either most of a capital G or perhaps the lower chunk of a symbol like you see for French provincial offices (not that it's French). The mark looks to be in a lozenge shape and the reverse, as you can see, has another mark, an indecipherable one (just like or same as the bigorne on the reverse of French marks. With the lozenge shape it could indeed be a French maker’s mark, although it wasn’t in Three Centuries of French Domestic Silver by Faith Dennis and I don’t know enough French to find it in other sources. The earrings are gold plated sterling silver and I don’t want to rule out it being some sort of silver mark I just haven’t seen before. Given the similarities to these other marks though, I do feel like it’s probably some kind of European mark. Thanks for any help.

amena
contributor

Re: Antique Sterling Silver Earrings with Unknown Mark

Post by amena »

Can you post a photo perpendicular to those already posted ?
Something reminds me of Peru.
Best
Amena
AG2012
contributor

Re: Antique Sterling Silver Earrings with Unknown Mark

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
As far as I can see earrings are carved black jet. Consistent with mid or late Victorian mourning jewelry and most likely continental Europe.
They are found either as Victorian Whitby (north-east coast of Yorkshire) or French jet. Marks are always too small or no marks at all so it`s difficult to tell the difference.
This mark is a mystery to me.
Regards

Return to “European Jewelry”