Ring found within a lift (elevator) door.

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Toddjeffery01

Ring found within a lift (elevator) door.

Post by Toddjeffery01 »

Evening all,

So about 4 years ago I was working on a lift that was manufactured in the 50’s. I was asked by the client to remove parts of the lift in an effort to upgrade it. When doing so I found this ring. I’ve given it a mild soapy hot water bath to show me the hallmarks to ask you guys for some information about it. I’ve never been to interested in it however now I’m 4 years older I would like to know a little more about it. I found it in Norwich, Norfolk. The person who lost it wouldn’t of been about as the old hotel wasn’t occupied for serveral years before the renovations started.

Any information would be nice.

I’ve worked out it’s sterling silver. That’s why I’ve taken the time to register here and asking you guys to shed some light for me.

https://ibb.co/iyVGqb
https://ibb.co/drPLGG
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Re: Ring found within a lift (elevator) door.

Post by silvermakersmarks »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I have cropped and resized your pictures and posted them below. We prefer posters to embed their pictures not just for our convenience but also so that casual users browsing the forum can view the images without having to click on links about which they may not be sure.

The hallmark is a Sheffield laser-marked hallmark with the sponsor's mark R over P. This sponsor is not known to me but if you really wanted to know you could contact the Sheffield Assay Office directly. In addition to the sponsor's mark, the 925 fineness mark and the Sheffield Assay Office's rose mark there is also a Convention Mark. This allows the hallmark to be recognised as a valid mark in those countries which are signatories of the 1972 Convention on the Marking of Articles of Precious Metal. See here for detailed information from the Sheffield Assay Office on the Convention.

What is missing from a "normal" hallmark is a date letter. This has been optional since 1998. Dating the ring with accuracy is therefore not possible but we can say with certainty that it cannot be any older than 1998.

Phil
Toddjeffery01

Re: Ring found within a lift (elevator) door.

Post by Toddjeffery01 »

Thank you for taking the time to edit my post and reply. It’s a shame the ring doesn’t continue a story of age with the lift it was extracted from. It would have been nice to have thought it was encapsulated in a void where it has been lost nearly dating the age of the lift. It wouldn’t have been a wearable piece for myself, however I’ll now place it in my van as a keep sake to remind me of where it came from.

I’ll also assume that because it’s modern silver, the stones will be something like cubic zirconia as the metal is to soft to be trusted holding diamonds.

Thanks

Return to “European Jewelry”