Birmingham Maker HPJ Tiffany Mystery

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
populous38

Birmingham Maker HPJ Tiffany Mystery

Post by populous38 »

Dear all
Can any one help with this Birmingham Hallmark. Hallmark 925 silver convention in scales - maker or sponsor HPJ - 925 - anchor.
These appear on a well made Tiffany Choker. All links soldered; appears a quality piece. However, I took the Choker into Tiffany & Co Sloane Square and they said it wasn't one of theirs. They weren't sure it was silver. A mystery. Who is HPJ and are they still in operation. Is it a total fake, but how has it got these marks on - the link is soldered, not just pinched together. Is it from another country and someone has paid to have it tested and stamped. It's not a Tiffany hallmark - i'm at a loss. I will send it Tiffany but I wondered if anybody here had any suggestions.
All ways appreciated in advance.
Gary

Thank you
legrandmogol
contributor

Re: Birmingham Maker HPJ Tiffany Mystery

Post by legrandmogol »

If those are soldered links they are really poorly done, especially compared to genuine Tiffany articles. Also the jump ring holding on the tag is way to big and was never used by Tiffany. The font on the tag also fills too much of the tag up. It is possible that it's an old tag that someone later attached to a generic silver necklace that looks similar to a tiffany toggle chain. But from having handled and sold many many used genuine Tiffany necklaces and bracelets just like these, I assure you this is fake. On the plus side I am pretty sure it is solid silver though. Just not made by Tiffany.
populous38

Post by populous38 »

Appreciated - It just seems odd. Cheers, Gary
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Just a reference--Cheryl's prior posting of 1982 Tiffany advert. which shows "return to" (N.Y.) type tag among items sold by T.& Co......scroll to end: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... ks#p141421

Return to “European Jewelry”