Mystery Enamel Pin

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Aguest
contributor

Mystery Enamel Pin

Post by Aguest »

This one is a complete mystery, it is some sort of enamel Hawaii pin, although it could be guilloche (I just call everything enamel)

Aguest
contributor

Re: Mystery Enamel Pin

Post by Aguest »

This pin shares some similarities to the pins of H. Culman, a Hawaiian silversmith active from 1900-1920.
The hallmark is not like the "HC" marks that I see on the backs of the pins of H. Culman, so I am really not sure this is his work.

Also, could it be from Denmark, since they have some beautiful enamel pins?

This one is a complete mystery, I hope someone out there can help with the hallmark?
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

I found another similar pin and the owner claims that the mark is from an Expert Jeweler who operated circa 1900 whose name is "H.F. Wichman."
The hallmark is a stylized "W" within the shape of a shield.

That certainly doesn't look like a "W," but maybe it is some sort of Gothic "W" font that was popular circa 1900?

Strange.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

I see the article on "H.F. Wichman" who had a shop in Honolulu, and pictures of the interior of his shop.
His shop is so nice, you would have thought more pieces would have survived.
So far I only see a few spoons and a few enamel pins for sale, but it is enough to solve the mystery.

It is indeed the hallmark of one H.F. Wichman who operated out of Honolulu circa 1900.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Aguest,

The mark does indeed appear to be that of H.F. Wichman when compared with other examples online.

The working dates of the firm are 1887 (as Gomes & Wichman) until at least 1955.

The business was incorporated as H.F. Wichman & Company Ltd. in 1903.

Henry F. Wichman died on the 12th June 1921.

I've added an additional view if the firm's interior at: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... &start=100

H.F. Wichman & Co. Ltd. - Honolulu - 1910

Trev.
Chaz759

Post by Chaz759 »

dognose wrote:Hi Aguest,

The mark does indeed appear to be that of H.F. Wichman when compared with other examples online.

The working dates of the firm are 1887 (as Gomes & Wichman) until at least 1955.

The business was incorporated as H.F. Wichman & Company Ltd. in 1903.

Henry F. Wichman died on the 12th June 1921.

I've added an additional view if the firm's interior at: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... &start=100

H.F. Wichman & Co. Ltd. - Honolulu - 1910

Trev.
My pops died and left me his cup and spoon from this company and I was also wondering about it..does the shop exist on Oahu still
?
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

I believe the firm are still in business, but I'm unsure of their current location.

Hopefully another member may know.

Trev.

Return to “Other Jewelry”