West's Patent Solitaire Cuff link

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
JanGroen
contributor

West's Patent Solitaire Cuff link

Post by JanGroen »

Good evening

I have this West Patent cuff link. I think it is made in 1880's but not sure. It is 22mm in diameter and the front are from silver with enamel. What does the rising sun mark stand for? Will the face be sterling and are they collectable?
Thanks
Jannie

AG2012
contributor

Re: West's Patent Solitaire Cuff link

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Nice champlevé with hand carved cells. They were made by various firms: Greaves' Patent, W. E. Wiley and Sons, F. Moore, Hales Patent, Reading, F. F. Abbey, S. Alford, D. Cutler, 'Perfect Action', Appleby and Stamps' Patent and Atkins' Improved Patent.
Of course it`s collectable if you like it. Besides, your button is rare and an early version because in ``improved patent`` the spring is completely hidden inside the button.
``Rising sun`` mark emerges from time to time but no one bothered to search for the maker; it was always described as``George West`` patent.
Regards
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Only offered as a possibility:

Mulholland Bros. - Aurora, Ill. - 1922

Trev.
JanGroen
contributor

Post by JanGroen »

AG2012 wrote:Hi,
Nice champlevé with hand carved cells. They were made by various firms: Greaves' Patent, W. E. Wiley and Sons, F. Moore, Hales Patent, Reading, F. F. Abbey, S. Alford, D. Cutler, 'Perfect Action', Appleby and Stamps' Patent and Atkins' Improved Patent.
Of course it`s collectable if you like it. Besides, your button is rare and an early version because in ``improved patent`` the spring is completely hidden inside the button.
``Rising sun`` mark emerges from time to time but no one bothered to search for the maker; it was always described as``George West`` patent.
Regards
Thank you for this information. I really like it as it seems like a lot of effort were put into such a small object. Did not find similar ones with enamel (champlevé) work on them on the net yet.

Jannie

Return to “Other Jewelry”