Unknown marks on silver necklace

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
fia21

Unknown marks on silver necklace

Post by fia21 »

Hi all,

this is my first time posting on this forum and I really hope that someone can help me.
I got a necklace as a gift and it looks like as if it was gold plated and it has a hallmark. After doing some research online, I could only find out that it was gold plated with 14K. I cannot identify the rest, though. It would be very interesting where the necklace comes from and approx what year. Maybe someone of you can help me.

Here is a link to some photos from the necklace including the hallmark:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-CE9 ... jFqbUxIZmc
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Unknown marks on silver necklace

Post by dognose »

Hi fia21,

Welcome to the Forum.

You are far more likely to get a response if you embed your images as very few people will click on such links.

Trev.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
One of your pictures (with the mark) has been embedded).
Being the Star of David, one would opt for Israel, but there are no distinctive Hebrew cursive letters, especially distorted like this.
Another option is Greek maker, also in cursive and not easy to decipher.
The first letter bottom row on the left is intriguing and rather distinctive, but looks both like Hebrew ``ayin`` and Greek ``gamma``.
In this particular case, either a Hebrew or Greek speaker would definitively read what`s written, unless a member of the forum helps. Let’s wait and see.
Regards
fia21

Post by fia21 »

thank you very much for your answer and effort AG2012.

I am myself a Hebrew speaker and I doubt that it is, in fact, Hebrew, because I think that the rest of the hallmark is written in latin letters.
I might add, that the friend that got me the necklace bought in Berlin, Germany in a small antique store. The shop owner told my friend that the necklace would be older than 1920. Maybe this additional information helps to define the origin of the necklace.

thanks again for your help!
fia21

Post by fia21 »

Return to “Other Jewelry”