Black Onyx H Sterling Necklace

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
oceanluvr5

Black Onyx H Sterling Necklace

Post by oceanluvr5 »

Hello:

Newbie here. I have a gorgeous black onyx sterling silver necklace that is marked "H Sterling" on the back. I'd like to know the name of the manufacturer as well as the approximate date it was created. All I've been able to find so far is Glasgow Date Letters: H = 1878.

Thanks so much,

Karen
Aguest
contributor

Re: Black Onyx H Sterling Necklace

Post by Aguest »

Hi actually the piece has more to do with a Native American necklace and the letter is the maker's mark; the "sterling" hallmark has a font which I have seen many times over the years on Native American necklaces and rings and bracelets etc...Not quite sure who the maker is, but sometimes they can be identified, looks like a newer piece, maybe 1980's would be a guess? It is possibly Navajo.
oceanluvr5

Re: Black Onyx H Sterling Necklace

Post by oceanluvr5 »

Hi Aguest:

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. Native American would certainly make sense. :)
oceanluvr5

UPDATE: Black Onyx H Sterling Necklace UPDATE

Post by oceanluvr5 »

I was able to locate a man who is a Native American jewelry expert, predominantly Navajo, and he was extremely helpful. Wanted to pass along his reply:

"It definitely looks like a Native American piece...one sign that it is most likely Native made is that it is stamped Sterling versus 925 or .925, which are typically stamp marks of imports and indicates silver content...the H hallmark is used by several Navajo artisans, but my best guess would be Harrison Yazzie, who does exquisite stone work like this and uses a plain heavy stamped H like what is on the necklace."

Return to “Other Jewelry”