Can't find hallmark or silver mark

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
rosierey440

Can't find hallmark or silver mark

Post by rosierey440 »

I have looked everywhere for this and I cannot find out where and when this item was made can you please help me.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Check out James Dixon & Sons at:
http://www.925-1000.com/silverplate_D.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Trev.
rosierey440

Post by rosierey440 »

Thank you so much for your reply.
I have tried these sites but I cannot find anywhere that has James Dixon and Sons with the Maltese cross symbol and I don't know if that site is for silver plate only but this box is solid silver. I have another item, that says JD&S with initials and the trumpet with banner and the letters EP sideways with the numbers 981, that is silver plate but I just cannot find any thing that has the markings like the box in these pics. I have already checked the hallmarks for this maker and have gotten no-where at all. I've spent hours and hours on the computer looking for this. Everything I have found has the initials JD&S with either the EP or some other kind of silver hallmarks. Not one item with the words James Dixon And Sons spelled out or the Maltese cross symbol. The only Maltese cross that I have found is from Frederick Derry on the site you just recommended. Can you help me?
rosierey440

Post by rosierey440 »

I have found the James Dixon and Sons Sheffield with trumpet mark, that is shown here but I still have no idea why the maltese cross is here. Does it have a purpose and/or mean anything? There is also no evidence that this is silver plated, it is as heavy as it should be if it were solid silver and a magnet does not stick to it and it has some pretty deep cuts in the bottom that still show silver brighter than the outer edges are, if it were silver plated then in would have to be a great amount of silver over top of some type of very thin metal that still does not stick to a magnet? Any info would be helpful.
2209patrick
co-admin

Post by 2209patrick »

Hello.

If your box was sterling it would have the mandatory British sterling hallmarks. Check here:
http://www.925-1000.com/british_marks.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The top mark that you describe as a maltese cross is likely a retailer's mark.

Pat.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello,
This post will help explain why we know it is silverplate.
http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13997" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards, Tom
rosierey440

Post by rosierey440 »

Thank you both for getting back to me.
Other things that I have read have said that if it is not sterling and does not have a sterling mark it still can be silver, just not sterling silver is that true and if it were silver plate I thought they put marks for that too. Also can you tell me what a retailers mark is? And I still don't understand how to tell when this piece was made. On the marks page with these marks it is a little confusing. So I'm still not sure about the date.
campas

Re: Can't find hallmark or silver mark

Post by campas »

Try this...Trademarks:- star and Maltese cross

Starting life in 1724 (although other sources suggest 1682), Joseph Rodgers & Sons are one of the longest established cutlery companies in Sheffield. They were granted the Royal warrant in 1821 by George IV, this accolade continuing through the reign of Queen Victoria and they proudly display their "by appointment" on knife blades. They produced a large amount of silver and plated flatware, but are particularly well known for the fine quality of their knives and carving sets.

Joseph Rodgers & Sons were taken over in 1975, but their name and trademarks are still used
Traintime
contributor

Re: Can't find hallmark or silver mark

Post by Traintime »

And again...Rodgers star is not Maltese form. Being an official mark, it is expected to always be accompanied with the six point star. So, Rodgers not in play here. The photo here does not help, but what I see looks like a common, equal arm cross (Swiss type, Red Cross, etc.)

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”