Serving spoon marked with Maltese Cross 1877 cursive R 910

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
jckreig

Serving spoon marked with Maltese Cross 1877 cursive R 910

Post by jckreig »

I've researched this and found nothing exact. Is it Malta silver? Roman quality?

dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

I'm really not sure if this spoon is Maltese, and it would be good to hear the thoughts of others, but it is interesting that the 'R' mark is present and if it is an indicator of the Roman Standard (11 denier) then that would equal around 917/1000. If American, that same percentage would equal the old Baltimore standard.

Is it marked '910' for sure?

Trev.
jckreig

Post by jckreig »

Trev.

Thanks. I have 5 of these and they all look the same in the 910 area so I don't think it was any other numbers and it has worn to be 910. I couldn't explain the difference in purity either from the Roman standard. I look forward to the other replies.

John
silverly

Post by silverly »

I'd rather be wrong about this and you have a piece of solid silver, but that spoon looks like it is silver plate and maybe manufactured by Rogers.
jckreig

Post by jckreig »

I think it's just the lighting in the pics. The appearance of these spoons are the same as the coin silver spoons in the rest of the lot. There are no marks of plating wearing off. The spoon is also VERY soft like other silver pieces, therefore I don't believe it to be plated. Would it be usual for a plated item to be marked 910?

Thanks,

John
2209patrick
co-admin

Post by 2209patrick »

Hello.

The thing that jumps out to me is the 1877 mark.
That is the year Oneida started producing flatware.
Later on, Niagra Falls 1877 became one of their trademarks.

They started out making tin (pewter) flatware,
I'm wondering if this is what you have.
Just speculating here, not sure.

Pat.
silverly

Post by silverly »

Pewter or britannia does sound possible. There was something reminiscent about the fins above the bowl on the handle and pewter does fit that style for me.
Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Re: Serving spoon marked with Maltese Cross 1877 cursive R 910

Post by Essexboy Fisher »

Hello, just noted this image on line. Seems very similar to the marks discussed in this topic. I know we are in the silverplate section but is that the definitive answer?

Yours
Fishless
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

And now for something that is Not entirely different. Niagara Falls had no tipped pattern. (?) This is too flat and wide across the top to match Wm A. Rodgers tipped sample. The metal bends easily rather than flexes, but brass base can bend too if thin enough. The weight is exceedingly light for a spoon. No wear points to show any base alloys. Engraved here. "910" is not boxed in.

BKM

Post by BKM »

Just for your reference, I just purchased 3 of these exact spoons on eBay. They failed all of my Silver physical testings, so I am not quite sure what they are made of. Pewter, Tin? Definitely not a spot of Silver.

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”