silver candlesticks

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
slokems

silver candlesticks

Post by slokems »

I have not been able to find this hallmark anywhere. I believe it is coin silver? the pics are one of a pair. I would appreciate any help

2209patrick
co-admin

Post by 2209patrick »

Hello.

I believe those are British silverplate marks.

Just my speculation, but I think your set of marks was used by John Jenkins of Sheffield England (1889-1893). Formerly of Jenkins & Evans (1886-1888).
The firm became Jenkins & Timm around 1893.

Pat.
Last edited by 2209patrick on Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
slokems

that looks like it!

Post by slokems »

very cool thanks for the help.
slokems

Post by slokems »

its crazy im looking him up on the web, its like he doesnt exist. Where did you get those pics from??
2209patrick
co-admin

Post by 2209patrick »

You're welcome.

Here is a scan from the book "The Identification and Dating of Sheffield Electroplated Wares 1843-1943" by E.R. Matheau-Raven.

The bottom picture, in my earlier post, is an old picture of mine.
The top picture is an enhancement of your picture.

Pat.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

An advertisement from 1902, that suggests, perhaps, that Jenkins & Timm were going through a rough patch at that time.

John Culme in his 'Directory of Gold & Silversmiths' has it that they converted to a limited liability company in 1912.

Jenkins & Timm also entered marks at the London Assay Office.

Trev.
slokems

Post by slokems »

wow...that is an amazing amount of information
thankyou! very cool
Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Re: silver candlesticks

Post by Essexboy Fisher »

Hello, I noticed some photos in this post of silver plate marks belonging to “Jenkins and Timm” and I have a couple of others to add. I did a bit of research on small plated spoon with the marks shown below.

x

The “A” no doubt is the usual story of a company just letting a buyer know how good the company thinks the quality of their own electroplating is, but the crossed sword and arrow intrigued me. I finally found my image on “silvercollection.it” in their pictorial silver plate marks section. The surprise is that it is not in “our” website pictorial marks section because after I found it was the “Jenkins and Timm” trademark I found the company listed and illustrated with “us”. I have below another “Jenkins and Timm” mark, this with gothic style lettering while the one on our site has conventional style lettering.

x

However I have now had a minor rethink about the “J&T” pictorial mark. It likely is a representation of a sword and old style “feather quill pen”. Well that’s what I think now. Anyone know more?
Yours
Fishless

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”