Serving tray with unknown trademark (coat of arms, laurel)

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
ccrain

Serving tray with unknown trademark (coat of arms, laurel)

Post by ccrain »

Hi,

I decided this afternoon to hand-polish a silver-plated serving tray that belonged to my grandmother, and I became curious about when and by whom it was made. None of the marks listed on this website seem to correspond to the one on the back of the tray. I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who can identify it or who can estimate when the tray was made or how.

I don't know anything about silver, I'm afraid, but the tray appears to me to be merely silver-plated. The copper-colored metal underneath the silver shows through in the raised portions of the design, either by intention or through long use, and also in a few patches where the silver has corroded.

I'm attaching a photo of the entire tray, a close-up of a portion of its design, and a close-up of the mark on the underside. The mark features a coat of arms surmounted by a crown or jewel of some kind, two laurels beneath, and the numerals "4 22/2" beneath the laurels. Inside the coat of arms is another coat of arms, showing a flame, and three objects that might be daggers or fleurs de lys.

--Caleb
lirpa1414

Re: Serving tray with unknown trademark (coat of arms, laure

Post by lirpa1414 »

Caleb,

Did you ever find out anything about the tray? I have a similar one with the same coat of arms and similar numbers (4 22/1) and I can't figure out anything about it. Many Thanks!
memo1621

Re: Serving tray with unknown trademark (coat of arms, laurel)

Post by memo1621 »

Many years later, I have the same issue. My tray is oval. Who is the maker?
Waylander
co-admin

Post by Waylander »

Somewhat of a coincidence, but this query was answered on another topic very recently.....in short, one of International Silver's many plate marks.

http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 26&t=48892

Waylander01
Sosostupid

Post by Sosostupid »

Waylander wrote:Somewhat of a coincidence, but this query was answered on another topic very recently.....in short, one of International Silver's many plate marks.

http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 26&t=48892

Waylander01
I have a large round serving tray with this stamp and it tested positive for sterling with an acid test!? I’ve used the same bottle to test Known/marked pieces both plated and solid sterling. If it IS one of their marks, it is Not a “plate mark”. I will retest on video and share my results however necessary. I only registered and replied because this item and stamp has plagued me for a couple years now.
poundsfeathers

Post by poundsfeathers »

OMG I just posted about this!!!!! The same question, unfortunately.
poundsfeathers

Post by poundsfeathers »

Mine's a little different..Image
Sosostupid

Post by Sosostupid »

Why am I not allowed to add images that exist on my device only? What’s the rationale and how do I accommodate this seemingly ridiculous rule?
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi Stupid,

You could start by reading this;
http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=42199

Peter.

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”