95-100 under beaded circle&?/brass or silver-plate/origin?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
sljudson

95-100 under beaded circle&?/brass or silver-plate/origin?

Post by sljudson »

Searched my heart out and get mixed info. Pitcher is approx 9" tall with seams. Ornate with flower overlay on belly. Handle in shape of a vine. Footed. Stamped on bottom: 95-100 under beaded round mark but cannot make out what is inside circle. I randomly show people and have been told what they see in circle:2 people hugging or a fish or a rose or?? Everytime I study it I see something different! At the bottom beading of mark does it say something? Also along seam at underside of spout there may be letters. I've found small replicas that say they are made of brass in Italy. Another site states it is silver. Have found some that have no markings. Cannot find anything marked like this one. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
silverport
contributor

Re: 95-100 under beaded circle&?/brass or silver-plate/origi

Post by silverport »

Hello »sljudson«

It seems to be pewter.

Please look here: http://www.pewtertankardsflagons.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kind regards silverport
sljudson

Post by sljudson »

Thanks Silverport:)
I was so excited to see your response. I spent hours on the site you sent me and every link I could find about pewter. I'm discouraged, but not giving up. I did find marks that were described as a beaded circle (bc), small beaded circle (sbc) and very small beaded circle (vsbc). The figure inside the circle could be a mermaid...? What do you think? Also i see a "5" or "s" inside the circle along the left side But nothing coming close enough to resembling my pitcher or the mark. I think I have learned the the 95-100 may mean that the item is 95% tin, probAbly 1% copper and 4% other materials to make pewter. Any other ideas? I love doing the research!

Have a great day!
2209patrick
co-admin

Post by 2209patrick »

Hello.

My guess is that your ewer is 20th century French or German.
Don't recognize the mark.

Pat.
silverport
contributor

Post by silverport »

Hello »sljudson«

The knowledge on pewter marks I miss — because I was always more interested in metal wares made from other materials, and also other techniques.

I know very well, that some workshops of modern time, from about 1920 on (?) made hand wrought items from pewter, like plates, bowls, coffee and tea pots …

In the time of beginning industrialisation, around 1760 in Sheffield, an alloy was developed, internationally called »Britannia«; and especially on the 1851 London Fair were shown many applications.

Be attend: »Britannia« pewter alloy isn't similar to »Britannia Standard« for Silver (.958).

In 1873 Vienna World Exhibition this basic alloy remained of importance too — but so many people liked to have decorative articles in historic styles, that it became usual to make the alloy cheaper, by adding lead. »Zinnstahl« was invented = cutlery made from tin, with reinforcements from iron or steel; like betony.

During the »Art Nouveau« period the alloy was by »Orivit«: 92.14 % Tin, 6.45 Antimony, 1.38 Copper, and 0.03 Silver.

Antimony gives the necessary hardness and “shine” — but it is also poisonous. »Orivit« in Cologne, Germany made almost decorative items. So articles especially for food were plated with Gold or Silver; which was an additional production process.

But with the outbreak of World War One, on 1 August 1914, tin became importance as solder, and other War important applications.

After the War a general Renaissance of articles made from pewter hasn’t happen in Western Europe.

Well as already mentioned, in nearly all European country, workshops were looking to give pewter a Revival. Many used the old technique of casting; and some of them have also used the old forms.

So my interpretation of the style of yours pitcher, let me think on a South European, maybe Italian origin?

Yours maker’s mark interpretation of maybe a »Mermaid«, I think, don’t be an indication of Denmark!

Kind regards silverport
sljudson

Post by sljudson »

Thanks Pat and Silverport! I'll do more research based on your new info!
silverport
contributor

Post by silverport »

Some background information on »Britannia« pewter alloy compositions.

Hello »sljudson«

Pat’s guess to be maybe French is one of the countries, where it’s a usual server. In Germany this style wouldn’t sale very well. I guess that the pitcher is made long time after World War II.

This kind of pitcher, like as yours, was especially in the summer time used for to serve drinking water. Well, you could serve there with also beer, or wine as well. For all of this it was necessary to use a tin alloy which had a high percentage of tin as basic material, and a low percentage of the poisonous Antimony. But Antimony was necessary to give the basic alloy several strength and hardness, like e.g. for the handle.

But for decorative items it wasn’t and still isn’t necessary to fulfil alimentary needs of security.

I’ve found a notice on three different alloy compositions for decorative items. They were different in relation to basic needs of production processes, like e.g. for separately cast parts be mounted together by use of solder.

»Britannia« pewter alloy composition 1; best for mounting by use of solder:
92.67 % Tin
6.36 % Antimony
0.82 % Copper
0.15 % Lead

»Britannia« pewter alloy composition 2; mounting by use of solder is possible:
77.42 % Tin
17.35 % Lead
4.51 % Antimony
0.72 % Copper

»Britannia« pewter alloy composition 3; mounting by use of solder is impossible:
58.07 % Tin
38.84 % Lead
2.92 % Antimony
0.17 % Copper

»Britannia« pewter alloy composition 1 was used e.g. for decorative items like candle holders of complex composition of 3 to 5 candles …

»Britannia« pewter alloy composition 2 was used e.g. for picture frames …

»Britannia« pewter alloy composition 3 was used e.g. for inkwell, paperweight …

These alloy compositions were possible to be plated or gilded partially or totally (for fruit, flowers, and centre pieces).

Kind regards silverport
MillerC

Post by MillerC »

Did you ever find out anything more about this piece?? I just bought one like it today and was curious!!
julievs

Post by julievs »

I also have the same pitcher. Here is a better picture, this does not say Italy.

rugrat0ne

Re: 95-100 under beaded circle&?/brass or silver-plate/origin?

Post by rugrat0ne »

Forgive me for reviving a thread that's 5 years old, especially as my first post, but this seemed to be unresolved, and I did find a little bit of info about this item, as I just purchased one today, as well. Plus, I think I may have gotten a clearer shot of the maker's mark when I took photos. Thought I'd show both sides, and that it separates for easier cleaning, in case that was useful at all.

As I said, I did come across some information. No maker identification, but it did narrow things down as to time and place.
"That set is often found on Italian metalware. It's hard to find a good image of the [mark] ... That combined with the 95-100 is usually found on silver plate and silver finished items from Italy. Unfortunately, they don't tell you the maker; they're just references to the country of origin.

It looks like these were imported in from various factories during the early part of the 20th century. There are the same pitchers and vases with different stickers on the bottom. That usually indicates that a few different companies were responsible for importing them to different parts of the world. Based on when these marks were used, they date to around the 1930s to about the 1950s. It features a four-footed, pedestal base, ornate handle, ruffled spout and an Acanthus design.

(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )

I'm going to go with "mermaid" as a guess, too, although at first I thought it might be a bell-like flower.

I don't know if that helps folks at all, but now I'm hooked on the search, like a mystery to be solved!
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

I bought a pewter-based glass vase thinking it might be silver; it has 4 hallmarks, one of which is a "95%" and the other is "A Scorpion" ___ Did some research and came up with Italy again, probably circa 1880 was my best guess >>> It does look very similar to sterling silver ###
rugrat0ne

Post by rugrat0ne »

Oops, didn't mean to break the rule on linking to appraising sites, was just trying to show my sources, to see if it was reliable info or not.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

The hallmarks are interesting, even though it is Pewter :::

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”