Paramount Plate (silver plate)

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
cga

Paramount Plate (silver plate)

Post by cga »

Hello,

I have done some decent searching on the web, have searched this forum and others, and still cannot find some general information about the manufacturer of this silverplate handled serving tray I have. The marks on the back say Paramount Plate and EPNS and what looks like the numbers "5 3 6 6". Oddly enough, the "3" number appears to have been stamped over the first number "6" in the sequence.

Please view image here of item and marks:
http://commissionarts.com/photos/paramo ... -merge.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Could someone please enlighten me or point me to where I might find some information about who manufactured Paramount Plate and during what time frames (I found hints it might date around the 1940s). Also what does the EPNS mean (I'm guessing it means electroplate nickel silver or something of the sort) and the 5366 number?

This tray may have served as an hors d'oeuvres platter that may have had four serving forks (hence the four small holding prongs on the handle)? What do you think?

Thanks for your help.

cga
vetraio5

Re: Paramount Plate (silver plate)

Post by vetraio5 »

Hi from Sydney Australia.
I believe this piece is Australian plate.
Paramount is one of the names used by a silver firm "K.G. Luke" of Melbourne, Australia.
K.G. Luke Pty Ltd. electro plate manufacturers factory, 28-58 Queens Parade, Fitzroy North, Melbourne Victoria.
"In 1921 Kenneth Luke became a partner in a small metal-spinning and silverware business at Carlton. By 1925 he was its proprietor and an employer of seven. These employees were still with him thirty years later, with 650 others, making an ever-increasing range of products: silverware, stainless steel surgical equipment, plated goods and glass-washing machines. In 1929 he bought a larger factory in Queen's Parade, Fitzroy (since redeveloped), doubled his staff and introduced new lines. At the outbreak of World War 2 production was again stepped up and Luke became an honorary adviser to the Department of Supply and Shipping. Luke went on to achieve many major public roles. In 1938-55 he was president of the Carlton Football Club. A delegate (from 1935) to the Victorian Football League, he was its vice president (1946-55) and president (1956-71). With post-war growth generating record crowds, he consolidated central administration and professionalised the game for players." (http://vhd.heritage.vic.gov.au/places/s ... nce/104097" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenneth_Luke" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

Another line you will see from the factory in the fifties and 60's is "Carousel" a range that has enamel colours.
Paramount was ubiquitous in the post war period in Australia.

Also important because of the 1956 Olympics in Melbourne:
"K.G. Luke was a private mint that made 1956 Olympic Games medals for the Numismatic Association of Victoria, as well as a considerable number of other medals and trophies. It operated at least between 1937 and 1974, according to medals illustrated in Carlisle's Australian Commemorative Medals and Medalets.
E. Angus Jones was sometime Chair of a company called K.G. Luke, which may or may not relate to the mint of the same name. KG Luke Group Industries Ltd changed its name to Luke Limited on 20 December 1976. Luke Limited was taken over by National Consolidated Limited on 19 October 1983.
Industrial action at K.G. Luke and other metal companies in or about the early 1970s won differential increases which leveled up over-award payments between the sexes." (http://museumvictoria.com.au/collection ... a?t=Object" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
vetraio5

Post by vetraio5 »

On the related topic mentioned about equal pay in the Australian Metal Industry and K.G. Luke, I found an interesting article here:

FIGHTING FOR EQUAL PAY
The Australian metal industry 1969-1972
"An interesting comparison can be drawn between the gaining of equal pay in the metal industry and the experience of those unions that did not pursue the issue industrially. Some unions, such as that of the bank officers, attempted to gain equal pay through solely legalistic rather than industrial means. This was a failure. If the letter of the 1969 decision had been applied (as it was to the bank workers when their union went to the Commission in November 1969), women in the metal industry would also have received nothing. Yet about 90 per cent had equal pay by the start of 1972 as a result of the campaign. In those areas where there were still inequalities, industrial action continued. John Halfpenny, Victorian State Secretary of the AEU at the time, explained that "The over-award payments assumed great importance because at a certain time they actually constituted about 30 per cent of a metalworker’s wages ... When equal pay was established in the award ... the employers’ attention then turned to the over-award payments, to make sure they remained unequal ... [That was] basically outside the Commission’s jurisdiction to arbitrate on". When asked how the union had dealt with this, he replied, "Collective bargaining they call it nowadays". For example, at Email, the electrical appliance manufacturer, a series of stopwork meetings by members, most of them women, won increased over-award payments of $3.50 a week for women and $1 for men. The extra money for women was part of a union-wide campaign for equal over-award payments. Similar action at the same workplace and at K.G. Luke won further differential increases which leveled up over-award payments between the sexes.

By contrast, the union which covered workers in the insurance industry was even more timid than the bank officers’ union. Having been refused negotiations about equal pay by the insurance employers in 1969, and disheartened by the Commission’s rejection of the bank officers’ application of that year, their leaders failed to take any further action over the issue until July 1972. As a result, women insurance workers did not get even a semblance of equal pay until late 1975."

http://www.anu.edu.au/polsci/marx/inter ... ualpay.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi Vetraio 5

Welcome to the forum and thanks for picking up the old post and provide us with detailed information about Australian Paramount plate and its history, another reason why our members should not remove images of their older unanswered or answered posts.

Best,

Oel.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Vetraio 5,

Welcome to the Forum.

Many thanks for providing the links and information. I've entered a link to this topic into our main Australian Silversmiths thread at:

http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 38&t=18484" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Trev.
Miss Kim

Post by Miss Kim »

I am seeking information on a tea set ... always called it the Aladdin set myself. Also from Paramount plate ... I am happy to know its from here in Australia by a legend as it were... thanks for sharing so much info. Tells me a little of the set n a lot bout its creator thank you.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Miss Kim,

Welcome to the Forum.

Please start a new topic, with images, regarding your tea-set.

The below should help you:

How to Add Images

Posting Requirements

Embedded images get a far greater response than just posting links.

Remember to use the 'Preview' button before submitting your post.

Trev.
Miss Kim

Post by Miss Kim »

I shall. I have found a cutlery set, also paramount plates, couple of pieces to find yet too. :-)
KManning

Post by KManning »

Just polishing my Nanas tea set. She was an employee of KG Luke the engraving dates it to 19/02/1944. Just wondering if it is plated it is stamped Paramount CP [AIN} quality
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Please start a new topic with the required images.

The below should help you:

How to Add Images

Posting Requirements

https://postimages.org (copy the 'Hotlink for forums' code) is recommended.

Ensure your images are embedded. Do not post links. Remember to use the 'Preview' button before submitting your post.

For more information see:

http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 82#p103282

Give some time to creating your posts and we'll give some time to researching and answering them.

Trev.

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”