silver scallop shell dish with 3 whelk feet

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
808dude

silver scallop shell dish with 3 whelk feet

Post by 808dude »

i see alot of examples of this type of dish but i cant seem to find anything out about the hallmarks, i would like to know if its silver or plate, age, origin, or anything else you might be able to tell me about the dish. it came from when my mother use to have an antique shop in the 70's . i have tried to research it on the internet but to no avail. thank you in advance for your help.

dognose
Site Admin

Re: silver scallop shell dish with 3 whelk feet

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

That looks like a slight variation of the mark of Victor Obler of New York. I believe his firm only made plated items.

Trev.
808dude

Post by 808dude »

yes the lions head and the crossed keys do seem to match.... thats great sleuthing thank you very much for you help... im not sure about the maker, but ill research it further my self, although the mark is blurry and hard to make out on my piece, not sure i see a V and O, looks more like an A and something else. many thanks again trev for your help.

tom
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Added-earlier post with updated information (May 2013) on Victor Obler company and surviving catalogue (2015 link to resource now defunct): http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... silver#top

Another posting shows the "keys in a shield" with crowned leopard linked to gothic letter "A" mark. Also, a "key in square" (+ VO letter mark, crowned leopard mark) sample for authentic Obler squared marks can be found in another thread.

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”