multiple compartments with lion crest

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
virgeo79

multiple compartments with lion crest

Post by virgeo79 »

I won this at an auction for $15. I just thought it was beautiful and interesting! I want to know more about it, but the internet can only tell me that it might be from Glasgow or may be British. No one in my little town seems to know what it is or where it is from either.

Does anyone know what this box was used for, where its from, or what the markings mean? I did some amateur silver testing and believe that it is silver, although the markings don't really look like any markings I saw on this site. Thanks in advance!

amena
contributor

Re: multiple compartments with lion crest

Post by amena »

It could be an Indian spice box
Regards
Amena
virgeo79

Post by virgeo79 »

Thank you Amena! That's a great clue! Just one question, do you mean Native Indian of a specific country or do you mean it likely has origins in India?

When I got the box it had a broken watch inside with sanskrit writing where my English days or month's are written, so I think it might be the latter.

Thanks again!!!

Virgeo79
virgeo79

Post by virgeo79 »

I know what it is now! I've been told it is a "betel box," "paandan," or "paan box" circa late 17th century. It is said to be of middle eastern origin with Mughal and Persian influence. Thanks everyone for looking and thank you Athena for giving me the first information on my quest to learn more about my piece.
agphile
contributor

Post by agphile »

This particular example cannot be late 17th century. The use of the term "Trade Mark" as well as the style of the marks point to late 19th or 20th century.
virgeo79

Post by virgeo79 »

Thanks agphile! I appreciate the tip!

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”